Considering amending my shipping terms - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
TheFragginDragon
Considering amending my shipping terms

I recently had a prospective customer back out of a sale due to my condition that I only ship to a bona-fide commercial address, or have the shipment held at the local FedEx hub per my contract with FedEx (yeah, I know SYR offers insurance, but I choose at this time not to employ their services, and that decision is not up for discussion in this thread).

I have always shipped with the above caveat, and pride myself in never losing an animal, but I'm considering amending my terms to allow shipping to residences since I often ship thru Reptiles Express, who is also allowed within their contract to ship to residences. However, as we all know, there are inherent risks involved, and my utmost concern is the safe delivery of the critters. Add to that the prospect of losing not only the animal, but the payment as well due to misdirection by the carrier, and I think my trepidation is understandable.

So, the new terms would be the following:

1. The buyer must take possession of the shipment at the nearest FedEx hub by 10:30 AM on the day of delivery; or if being delivered to a commercial address, the buyer must be available to, and actually does, sign on the first delivery attempt.

2. Delivery to a residence is permissable, however, the guarantee to live arrival is null and void if the shipment is delayed due to carrier error that would have been avoided had the shipment adhered to condition #1. As above, the buyer must be available to, and actually does, sign on the first delivery attempt.

5. Delays due to carrier error to a commercial address, or to be held at a FedEx hub, will be assumed Blue Water Reptiles' responsibility, and if this results in a DOA, a full refund will be granted.

Opinions?

Old 07-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFragginDragon View Post
my utmost concern is the safe delivery of the critters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFragginDragon View Post
Delivery to a residence is permissable, however, the guarantee to live arrival is null and void if the shipment is delayed due to carrier error that would have been avoided had the shipment adhered to condition #1.
You are a good seller to put critter safety first, wish all sellers did that.
Your condition that the critter is received and signed for on the first pass will in fact be an incentive for buyers to be there, but if the carrier makes an error while the critter is out for delivery, what can the buyer do?
(Maybe with tracking they can do something like call you or the hub, but if the poor critter got misdelivered sometimes there isn't a way to get it back immediately.) Or are you more wanting the buyer to think through his/her choices in wanting the residential delivery?

Old 07-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
TheFragginDragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
Your condition that the critter is received and signed for on the first pass will in fact be an incentive for buyers to be there, but if the carrier makes an error while the critter is out for delivery, what can the buyer do?
(Maybe with tracking they can do something like call you or the hub, but if the poor critter got misdelivered sometimes there isn't a way to get it back immediately.) Or are you more wanting the buyer to think through his/her choices in wanting the residential delivery?
Precisely. If they insist on delivery to their residence, I want them to know that the risks involved are greater. I personally watch every shipment like a hawk from the time I get home til the time it's delivered, so I'd probably know before the customer does if something is awry, and would immediately alert them to the issue (and personally try to rectify it), no matter where the shipment is headed.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
AbsoluteApril
my TOS specifies "Live arrival is Guaranteed; there must be someone at the location to sign for the snake/s on the first delivery attempt."

also something you might want to consider adding is:
"Shipping is done to the address provided by the buyer. The seller assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of the address provided."

I also have specific requirements for in the event of a DOA (had this happen before) which would cover the buyer in any event - mishap, carrier delay, etc.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
FireStorm
I am still working on my TOS, but one thing I added was that I will only ship to a residence if they are in a location where Fed Ex guarantees delivery by 10:00am (since some areas are noon).

Old 07-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
TheFragginDragon
I omitted the parts of my TOS that weren't relevant to the thread, the rest of it does address the concerns mentioned.

I'm just looking for opinions on the specific term regarding shipment to a residential address.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
FireStorm
The only potential issue I see is the signature requirement...I can see arguments for and against it. I have had FedEx fail to attempt delivery, and just mark that no one was there to sign because thay don't want to come down our long driveway. It has happened a few times, so I personally prefer not to have the signature requirement, but I can understand why many do.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
Mooing Tricycle
I am lucky that i have three addresses in which im able to recieve packages, TWO of which are commercial, but not as many are so lucky. for me, an animal held at the hub is a MASSIVE inconvenience as i have to drive 45 minutes just to get there. I NEVER allow a reptile to be shipped when i MIGHT not be home as a general rule, though, unless its to one of the two commercial addys.

For those of us in serious country its something to consider as a seller. I never miss that initial signing, either.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #9
JColt
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStorm View Post
The only potential issue I see is the signature requirement...I can see arguments for and against it. I have had FedEx fail to attempt delivery, and just mark that no one was there to sign because thay don't want to come down our long driveway. It has happened a few times, so I personally prefer not to have the signature requirement, but I can understand why many do.
Had a non reptile delivery at work. A police dept. I checked online and it was marked that no one there to accept delivery. I called and said, It's a police dept, We are open 24/7 including holidays, I better have it before 2 pm.

I got it in 20 min's, lol.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #10
hhmoore
About the only time I cave on my stance about shipping to the hub is if there isn't one within reasonable distance.
I have mixed feelings about the idea of removing the live arrival guarantee - I know a few sellers that do that if buyers insist on alternative shipping options; but I still sort of feel that, if I can't guarantee live arrival, I shouldn't be shipping that way.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
arrival, residential, shipment