Everyone charging paypal fees - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
BallsDeepPythons
Everyone charging paypal fees

This might not be the right place to post this, but I have not been on here much lately. Been too busy with breeding, moving and keeping up with rats to stay right up on BP prices all day. But I have several hatchlings I will be selling over the next few weeks so I have spent the last few days looking at prices. It seems like over half the ads that I see has the seller asking for the 3% paypal fee to cover their cost! That is illegal right? I dont remember hardly ever seeing that and now it is on most ads. When you decide to use paypal that should just be part of your cost of doing business right? Like shipping, you add the cost of supplies and the cost of shipping together and say shipping for you snake will be $75. Just add 3% to the cost of your snake, post the ad with the price and be done with it. Sorry to rant, just wanted to see if I was the only one who thinks this way.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
Pocopythons
I totally agree with you. A buddy of mine bought a snake at a reptile show not to long ago and after they agreed on a price they actually charged him sales tax on the animal. I've never heard of that either but who knows.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
hhmoore
No, you aren't the only one that thinks that way....and, No, it isn't "illegal".
It is, however, a violation of their PayPal user agreement to charge a fee - or a higher price - for PayPal sales.

Another popular method of beating the 2.99% fee is to request that the money be sent as a personal payment (gift). Don't do it - it voids any protection you might have, as you are not buying a product. If they don't ship, or you get something other than what you paid for, you have no real recourse. (I have heard reports of being charged the cash advance rates on credit cards for doing that, as well, since it isn't a purchase - something to keep in mind).

PayPal offers a service to sellers, for which they charge a small fee - it amounts to all of $30 on a $1000 sale. It provides a means of instant payment, and the all important option of accepting credit cards (which, until fairly recently, was cost prohibitive for most hobbyists through the other available means).
I've noticed the recent swell in ads "requiring" the fee to be added....and just view them as more people I won't purchase from.

There are a number of threads on this topic in this forum (I moved your thread to General Business, btw).

Old 09-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopythons View Post
I totally agree with you. A buddy of mine bought a snake at a reptile show not to long ago and after they agreed on a price they actually charged him sales tax on the animal. I've never heard of that either but who knows.
Anybody that is doing more than calling themselves a business knows about sales tax (in most states). More and more states are catching up to shows, and requiring vendors to have a sales tax certificate (even if it is just for the the event/show.
Personally, I post "tax included" prices at shows...but haggling doesn't necessarily equate to tax free. I incorporate it into my bottom line; and have no problem telling a customer why I am unwilling to go below that price.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
BallsDeepPythons
Yeah, I didnt mean illegal, meant against paypal policy . And like I was saying, 6 months ago I only remember seeing a few ads with that in it and now it seems like more have that included in them than not! I know when I post any for sale I will not inlcude it, I will have a bottom dollar and if no one will pay that then I will just have more holbacks I guess

Old 09-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallsDeepPythons View Post
if no one will pay that then I will just have more holbacks I guess
Please don't fall into that group either....
Not being able to sell something for the price you want doesn't make it a holdback. I understand that it sounds better than "leftover", but still.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #7
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
I've noticed the recent swell in ads "requiring" the fee to be added....and just view them as more people I won't purchase from.

I have noticed it a lot more over the last 6 or so months as well.

I also agree a 'leftover' is not a 'holdback' but rather a hopeful 'future sale'

(i'm so agreeable today)

Old 09-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #8
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallsDeepPythons View Post
It seems like over half the ads that I see has the seller asking for the 3% paypal fee to cover their cost! That is illegal right? I dont remember hardly ever seeing that and now it is on most ads. When you decide to use paypal that should just be part of your cost of doing business right? Like shipping, you add the cost of supplies and the cost of shipping together and say shipping for you snake will be $75. Just add 3% to the cost of your snake
The paypal fee is part of the cost of receiving an instant payment for your animal, people tend to shy away from someone trying to add an extra 3% to an already high priced animal.

No you just don't add an extra 3%.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:57 AM   #9
Metachrosis
IMO,one should have all inclusive pricing on their critters
Everything factored in as close as possible before ever posting a Sale Ad.
Market Price is not the total worth,"worth" is determined buy the customer.
When I see ads with extra's "added" I move on,sellers that are that determined to be publicly greedy need to keep feeding.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:37 AM   #10
Clay Davenport
I think sellers who do this are not realizing they are shooting themselves in the foot with a certain percentage of prospective buyers.

Myself I don't want to do a bunch of math to determine what I'm paying for an animal and I doubt anyone buying from me does either. I care about the bottom line, what's it going to cost to get the animal in my hands.

I've seen ads like this
$100 for the animal
+ $50 shipping
+$10 box charge
+$2 for heat pack
+3% if using paypal

When I see this I just move on without another thought, whereas if they'd advertised the animal for $165 shipped I would have given it more consideration.
In the end all anyone cares about is what it will remove from their bank account to get the animal. Personally I think, using the above example that you would get more interest saying the snake was $165 and shipping was free. To each his own though.

As for the paypal fees being added on, that just irritates me and I generally ignore such ads on principle.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!