viper problems - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 07-21-2005, 02:00 PM   #1
nenad
viper problems

Hello, I have european nose-horned vipers (vipera ammodytes), and one of them has some health problems. She hurted her horn when she was trying to change her skin. She has a little wound at the beginning of the horn, and it looks like her horn is going to drop off. So, because of it she couldn't change the skin from the head. Then she started to have some respiration problems, she's opening her mouth to breath.I removed the old skin from the head, but now her situation is even worse. Her head is swelling, like it's full of air, and it seems that she can't close her mouth, or she doesn't want to close it. Her head looks terrible. Her troat is also pumped up for most of the time.
I realy don't know what to do, can anybody help me with some information.
Thanks,
Nenad

Old 09-09-2005, 09:37 AM   #2
Freakboy
Nenad,
Sounds like either a respiratory infection (like a cold) or Stomatisis (mouthrot). You could try raising the temp in the enclosure just a little, this may help if it is a cold. If it is mouth rot you will more than likely have to take a trip to a vet. Does it have any reddish or yellowish cheese like stuff in its mouth? As this would indicate mouth rot. These problems can also be forms of secondary problems. I.E. if the horned area was damaged and an infection set in, then either of those problems would not be far behind. Hope this helps. But I would definitely bring it to a vet or experienced herper.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!