Undergraduate Research - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 12-17-2006, 08:38 PM   #1
tandy4000
Undergraduate Research

Im going to begin some undergraduate research in the spring and im looking for ideas on topics for research pertaining to snakes. Ive been looking at the properties of various venoms but Im not sure i will have access to venomous snakes. Any ideas are appreciated.

Old 12-17-2006, 09:07 PM   #2
scotty77327
How about the IBD virus

Old 12-18-2006, 09:58 AM   #3
tandy4000
what is that?

Old 12-18-2006, 10:49 AM   #4
Mokele
Well, what are your limits/capabilities in terms of time, funding, access to animals, etc? Is this some form of senior project? Are you going to be working under a professor? You're going to be severely limited if not, as the rules and regulations for animal care and use in universities are complex and bureaucratic in the extreme. If you do work under a prof, they more than likely already have ideas you can work on, and can make things much better via their advice and experience.

Another important thing to consider is what you're interested in regardless of the species involved. If you like genetics, do snake genetics, if you like ecology, do snake ecology, etc. That'll make things much more enjoyable as a whole.

Henry

Old 12-18-2006, 11:06 AM   #5
tandy4000
I will be under a professor and I believe that the project can take the entire duration of my college career, and since im a freshman now thats almost 4 years. I will be writing the grant proposal so i will have funding for most activities. My prof told me to come up with the ideas because shes working on a project with birds now.

I read about the finding of venom glands in many species of colubrids on the web (im not sure how reliable the source was), the problem is that most colubrids do not have an effective means of delivering the venom. Do you know of any colubrid species that have venom glands? Perhaps I could test the affects of these lesser known venoms.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:31 PM   #6
Mokele
Quote:
I read about the finding of venom glands in many species of colubrids on the web (im not sure how reliable the source was), the problem is that most colubrids do not have an effective means of delivering the venom.
Venom glands are essentially just modified salivary glands that produce much more potent chemicals. If I recall correctly, the new term for these glands in snakes, including colubrids, is Duvernoy's glands.

Quote:
Do you know of any colubrid species that have venom glands?
A lot of them do, actually, with varying strengths. Hognose snakes (Heterodon) have very weak venom, members of genus Boiga have somewhat nastier venom, and two species, the African Twig snake (Theletornis) and the boomslang (Dispholidus typhus), have actually killed healthy adult humans with their bites.

Look up 'rear fanged snakes' (or, more technically, 'opisthoglyphous' snakes) and you should find plenty of information.

I'd also heartily recommend Google Scholar (a sub-search of Google). A quick search can turn up whether or not the species you're interested in has already been worked on or not.

Henry

Old 12-20-2006, 01:19 PM   #7
Brian - LCRC
Leeway Corucia Research Center (LCRC)

Greetings,

If your considering hot on your research, you might want to decide what branch you wish to pursue ( ie. Neurotoxin or Hemotoxin).

There are species of snakes and the gila monster and mexican beaded lizard where antitoxins are not available. if you wish to go and achieve where others haven't, this is one possibility.

You might want to hook up with someone that is dealing with hot snakes to get a 'feel' of what species you wish to work with.

Best of luck.

Sincerely,
Brian
LCRC

Old 12-20-2006, 01:39 PM   #8
Wilomn
There are also False Water Cobras, hydrodynastes gigas readily available and easily worked with. They are rear fanged coloubrids with a bit of the unknown associated with their venom and its capabilities.

I breed them and know of several other sources that could set you up with goodly numbers with some diversity in the genepool.

Old 12-20-2006, 02:28 PM   #9
Brian - LCRC
Leeway Corucia Research Center (LCRC)

Greetings,

You might want to narrow your search perimeters to whether you wish to research nerotoxuins or hemotoxins. You might want to hook up with someone whom has hot reptiles to see what species you are bonded to. There are several snake species as well as the two lizard species that are venomous - the mexican beaded lizard and the gila monster of which no proper antitoxin is available. this would be one possible avenue to pursue to achieve something new.

Best of luck.
Sincerely,
Brian
LCRC

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!