Eurasian Eagle Owl - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Birds > Birds For Sale/Wanted Ads

Notices

Birds For Sale/Wanted Ads Posting of classified ads by registered members is FREE!! But additional perks require contributing level memberships.

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 06:24 AM   #1
md14fish
Eurasian Eagle Owl

This is a very tame and trained female Eagle Owl. She is 10 mos. old. She is for sale due to space constraints.

$3000.00
  Contact User Check User
Old 03-25-2004, 03:40 PM   #2
beakgeek
You realize of course that Eurasian Eagle Owl is a CITES species?

Convention on International Trade in Endengered Species of Fauna and Flora
(CITES)

Having one in your possesion is a huge offense and the authorities in what ever country you live in can put you in jail for having it.

Take it to your local zoo.

Regards,

Terry

Old 03-25-2004, 03:47 PM   #3
robin d.
i dont know anything about these but can they have cities paperwork and permits and stuff on these or are they totally restricted?

Old 03-25-2004, 05:50 PM   #4
md14fish
eagle owl

Beak Geak you should check your facts.
It is a captive bred owl that I purchased from a licensed breeder.
No paper work is even needed to own one in the United States,its not native species.
  Contact User Check User
Old 03-26-2004, 12:58 PM   #5
beakgeek
Regardless if it is captive bred - they are protected and yes you need paperwork for the bird. I'd love to see you convince a USFW officer that number one it is captive bred, and number two that it is OK to have a CITES species without paperwork proving it origin. Otherwise they have no idea if you took a wild bird as a baby and smuggled it.

I have an idea. I call my buddy at the USFW service here in Minneapolis and have him get in touch with you to discuss this. I know for a fact that he would be very interested in you claiming that you can sell a CITES species without paperwork.

Regards,

Terry

Old 03-26-2004, 01:49 PM   #6
Intense Herpetoculture
BeekGeek, please check your facts and leave this kind man/woman alone. If the animals is CBB in the US he/she does not need CITES paperwork. Now if the animal is listed as an endangered species under the USDI, you will need a CBWP to obtain the animal outside of state lines, but that is all. Federal and most state falconry permits do not apply as this species is not native to the US. If you wish to continue trhis discussion I am sure it would be wise to take it to the forums and not clog this ad.

Old 03-26-2004, 02:25 PM   #7
beakgeek
Taken from the CITES web site:

1. An export permit or re-export certificate issued by the Management Authority of the State of export or re-export is required.

An export permit may be issued only if the specimen was legally obtained and if the export will not be detrimental to the survival of the species.

A re-export certificate may be issued only if the specimen was imported in accordance with the Convention.

Like I said - you need paperwork sending it across even state lines - otherwise they have no idea where it came from.
Stating that you don't need paperwork is incorrect.

And so you don't think that I am just talking out my backside. I have worked at the The Raptor Center in Minneapolis with Dr. Pat Redig, and I am very familiar with the rules - CBB or not.

I have the facts straight and I am done. Sorry for Clogging up the classifeds. I'd hate for some unsuspecting person to try and purchase the bird.

Thanks!

Terry

Old 03-26-2004, 02:32 PM   #8
Intense Herpetoculture
BeekGeek, those only apply if you are exporting, aka, sending them out of the country, like to Canada or something. I've imported and exported animals for a few years and I am one to keep up with current laws. You might want to call USFWS and ask them about it, thery'll tell you the same thing. Otherwise we would require permits to send chameleons across state lines, and even ball pythons, both of which are CITEs animals.

Old 03-26-2004, 02:54 PM   #9
Ken Harbart
Terry, as others have said, you are severely misinterpreting what CITES is and is not.

CITES has no applicability whatsoever to interstate commerce. CITES is an international treaty governing international trade of listed species. USFWS could care less if you're shipping CITES species accross state lines. By your misinterpretation of CITES, all interstate shipping of common boas and ball pythons would be illegal.

The law that you're confusing CITES with is the Endangered Species Act, which requires a Captive Bred Wildlife Permit for interstate commerce of ESA listed species such as the eastern indigo snake and Indian python.

In short, you owe md14fish an apology.

Old 03-26-2004, 06:56 PM   #10
md14fish
Eagle owl

First of all, there is a captive bred seamless band on captive bred raptors. Second I have a raptor Prop permit. So call who you want!
  Contact User Check User

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread