The Next Big Thing? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 08-26-2021, 08:12 PM   #1
BottomFrog
The Next Big Thing?

Hey all! First post here, found this forum as I was doing some research, but super cool place!

Anyhow, I'm currently working on a report for a college course focused on analyzing trends in popular reptiles & amphibians in the hobby industry, and I was curious if anyone had noticed any newer species becoming more popular? I don't mean the species themselves are new but rather that they had previously not been quite as popular as pets, at conventions, amongst breeders, etc and are now starting to see more of the limelight.

If anyone has any insight, or even predictions, I would love to hear from y'all, it would help a ton!

Cheers

Old 08-26-2021, 08:27 PM   #2
V675210
I have to say emerald tree skinks . They are so underrated mine are wc but act like cb . They jump to my hand stay there never run from me.

Old 08-26-2021, 09:31 PM   #3
Socratic Monologue
Not a species, but a family: dart frogs. Unfortunately.

'Unfortunately', because whenever a certain animal gets popular, it gets sold through less-than-quality retailers to people who are less-than-prepared to care for it (iguanas...painted turtles....now ball pythons...). Then they fill up rescues -- though dart frogs don't get mistreated and then rescued, they get mistreated and then they die.

Analyzing the reasons for the rise in popularity of a species/group would be interesting, too. I suspect dart frogs are on the rise because of the 'bioactive' bandwagon that is being promoted by people who aren't too detail-oriented about keeping exotic pets, but are more 'one size fits all and you can buy that size right here! Buy now and get a free gift! Buy the kit and you can have a slice of nature in your living room without even having to do any research!'

Hope this helps.

Old 08-26-2021, 09:39 PM   #4
BottomFrog
Thanks for the answers so far, looking forward to seeing if anyone else has any opinions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
...because of the 'bioactive' bandwagon that is being promoted by people who aren't too detail-oriented about keeping exotic pets...
That actually makes a lot of sense! I've definitely noticed an increase in the popularity of bioactive enclosures, and I suppose Dart Frogs would be a seemingly perfect candidate if someone were going for "a slice of exotic nature" in their living room.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
popular, trend