It was not funny till today. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Just For Laughs

Notices

Just For Laughs The SOLE purpose of this forum is to put a smile on the face of a person reading the messages. Anything of a SERIOUS nature will either be deleted or moved out of here.

Old 07-14-2006, 11:45 AM   #1
scalesnstuff
It was not funny till today.

This is an honest true story proving that patience is a virtue.

Yesterday I was making a rock background for an enclosure. The process that I learned was using paint thinner (diluted of course) and lighting the styrofoam on fire. This causes a very good rock effect.

Well, I could not find any paint thinner so I decided to improvise instead of waiting for Shawn to arrive (he was due in 30 minutes). I decided that rubbing alchohol would do the trick and started spraying and lighting, it turned out really good. Then something caught my eye. 3M General Purpose 45 Spray Adhesive.

I got to thinking that might work better. I still had about 6 feet left to go I could spray it on light it and everything would be good and so much faster. So I started spraying the glue in on every part of the styrofoam. After I got done I said well maybe it needs a little more.

After I was done spraying I took out my lighter and put it to the styrofoam.

Before I go any further with this story the styrofoam was mounted inside a big wooden box that was going to be a custom cage.

Now I put the lighter on the styrofoam and wham here came the flame. The best way to describe it is the movie Backdraft or any firefighter movie where the person gets consumed in flames. I remember after I got my head out of the fire I saw the flames hit the ceiling and then it was done.

Now anyone that knows me knows I have a guardian angel. I got a bunch of first degree burns, lost all the hair on my right arm, all the hair inside my nose, 2 inches off my goatee, singed my eyelids and my eye brows, and lost 2 inches of hair on the right side of my head. And I have these weird burnt hair boogers in my nose that I have to pull out with tweezers cause I burnt the inside of my nose.

I look back today and say would thirty minutes have hurt me.

Patience is a virtue.

Old 07-14-2006, 12:58 PM   #2
Mooing Tricycle
ahahahah! that must have been a sight! Im sorry you got so many burns though... but its a great story to tell. ^_^;

Old 07-14-2006, 12:59 PM   #3
scalesnstuff
Its all good

The burns are all first degree so its not bad. I will definately be able to tell that story for years to come.

Old 07-14-2006, 01:02 PM   #4
cornsnakekid92
Why did you put a lighter to the sterofoam? Pretty much anything aerosal is flamable but i tihnk that is because a common propelent is butane( Gas/ liquid found in dispoisable lighter.)

Old 07-14-2006, 01:02 PM   #5
scalesnstuff
Got another one true story

Back about 5 months ago I was waiting tables. We were short staffed that night so it was kind of hectic. I had just taken an order and was heading back to the POS when I tripped over a dog. The dog made a loud whimper and I fell face first to the ground. Of course all of the customers wanted to laugh, you could see it in their face but they didn't.

The dog belonged to a blind man in a wheel chair.

Old 07-14-2006, 01:06 PM   #6
scalesnstuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnakekid92
Why did you put a lighter to the sterofoam? Pretty much anything aerosal is flamable but i tihnk that is because a common propelent is butane( Gas/ liquid found in dispoisable lighter.)

To burn it to look like a rock. I did not realize how flammable the 3m was till it lit. Alchohol and diluted paint thinner burns very slow and it is very controlable. The 3m was not. I expected a fire but not what happened. Apparently I did not give the fumes time to disperse and that is what caused the "flame cannon".

Old 07-14-2006, 01:33 PM   #7
Mooing Tricycle
I would have been the only sad person in that whole restaurant that would have burst out laughing.... just reading that made me laugh like a madman. I dont know what it is about people Tripping and slipping and such (and dont get me wrong i still FEEL BAD), but i cannot help but burst out laughing..... ^_^ im sorry, it really sucks though, i hope you werent hurt too badly

Old 07-14-2006, 01:42 PM   #8
scalesnstuff
When it happened I felt like the worst person in the world. It was bad enough that I tripped over a dog, but a blind man's dog. I ended up buying his meal. It was the look on the owners face. He had no clue what was happening all he knew was his dog made a loud noise and there was a thud. I still feel bad about.

Old 07-14-2006, 01:44 PM   #9
Mooing Tricycle
that was really kind of you to do ^_^ Im sure he really appreciated it.

I hope the doggy got some mashed potatoes or something good too ^_- hehe

Old 07-14-2006, 02:22 PM   #10
scalesnstuff
When it happened I felt like the worst person in the world. It was bad enough that I tripped over a dog, but a blind man's dog. I ended up buying his meal. It was the look on the owners face. He had no clue what was happening all he knew was his dog made a loud noise and there was a thud. I still feel bad about.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!