isopods and springtails - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > Testing area

Notices

Testing area New to this message board and want to check out the features? Well this is the place to do it. Try everything and anything you want and don't worry about it. That's what this forum is here for!

Old 04-27-2010, 07:42 AM   #1
roadrunnermalwi
isopods and springtails

Hi new here and not really sure what these are isopods and springtails could some one explain it better for me the reason i ask is im in the process of setting up a 220 gal terrarium with real plants so any info would help me out alot thanks

Old 04-28-2010, 05:35 AM   #2
WingedWolf
Isopods are known by a number of common names, and you'll probably be familiar with at least one of them: woodlice, roly-polies, waterbugs, pill bugs.
These are the small grey oval-shaped arthropods with more than 6 legs that you find when you turn over rocks or logs. Some species curl up into a tight, armored ball when disturbed.

Springtails are very tiny little insects that live in soil. They feed on most any waste material or food, and reproduce quickly. They need moist soil to survive. They hop when disturbed.

Isopods and springtails are useful in vivariums because they quickly dispose of fallen plant matter and wastes from animals. They can be so efficient that a good-sized viv with small reptiles in it may not need to have more than some glass and leaf cleaning done for as long as a year.

Springtails are also a good food item for very tiny newly hatched lizards. Isopods will also be eaten by reptiles. They are very high in calcium, and isopod cultures should have calcium added--unlike insects, isopod exoskeletons contain high levels of calcium. However, they should not be used as a staple feeder because in addition to calcium, they can also concentrate various metals.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:10 AM   #3
roadrunnermalwi
Isopods are known by a number of common names, and you'll probably be familiar with at least one of them: woodlice, roly-polies, waterbugs, pill bugs.
These are the small grey oval-shaped arthropods with more than 6 legs that you find when you turn over rocks or logs. Some species curl up into a tight, armored ball when disturbed.=would potato bug be a common name for them and would they be good to have in a 220 gal viv like i want to set up and i just collect them from out side or is there a place to buy them from so you dont have to worry about toxins and that kind of stuff

Old 04-28-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
WingedWolf
I don't know, 'potato bug' might be a common name. Common names vary regionally. Where I'm at now, a potato bug is a beetle that feeds on potato leaves, lol.
This is an isopod: http://www.kendall-bioresearch.co.uk/WLICE1.gif

There are online dealers who sell isopods, yes. I have some tropical isopods, and also some that I collected locally, which I'm culturing for my vivariums.

My vivs are smaller than yours, but I don't think size matters.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:50 PM   #5
roadrunnermalwi
that would be th bug here that some people in ohio would call a potato bug and thanks for the help

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!