why do my cornsnakes do this?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-14-2010, 02:38 AM   #1
jameseallenii@gmail.com
Question why do my cornsnakes do this??

I have two corns, 1.1, and almost every night the will wind themselves around the inside of their enclosure. It's a tall square thing from zoo-med(18 x 18, maybe 24in high), door that opens on the front, and the top latches, but can come off. There's a small gap- 1/4 to 1/2 inch- between the top of the enclosure and the lid, and they worm their way in there. i wouldn't mind, but it makes the lid creak and groan every time they move and I keep jumping out of bed to make sure they haven't escaped. Occasionally one or the other loses their grip and plops back down to the bottom(which I find a little humorous).

I'm wondering if this is normal behavior, or is this perhaps a sign that there is not enough room for them? they have a big tree/branch to climb and dangle from, basking light, water dish, etc. Are they doing this from stress caused by cramped living conditions or is this just because they are active snakes?

Also, I think they are about a year old. I've had them about 7 months and they were at least a few months old when i got them. They are currently approx. 36in long, maybe longer, and have grown 8-10 in. since we got them.
-ned

Old 12-14-2010, 05:23 AM   #2
BigTattoo
As active diurnal snakes as corns are and the fact they only do this in the evening. To me it sounds like they're looking for secure hides. You don't mention in your list of cage furnishings anything about hides, unless that is to be assumed in the "etc." All of my snakes regardless of species really like tight fitting, secure hides. These can be made from any number of things. paper towel/TP rolls, cereal boxes or any small box. These are nice as they are disposable and easily replaced. I also employ the black plastic meat trays from the grocery. These can be cut down easily to accomadate many sizes of snakes and mine also seem to really like them. Disposable plastic food totes, Gladware, Take a longs etc also make good hides. Use a razor knife or better a hole saw and cut a suitable sized hole in the lid. These can be filled with bedding, Aspen, cypress or sphagnum/orchid moss. The use of cypress and moss these double as moist hides for shedding.

Snakes are happiest when they have a choice in hides, warm side, cool side, moist and even high and low hides for some. If you have a paper towel tube or 2 try tossing them in their cage. Yes a 3' corn will easily cram it's whole body in one. Use your imagination and try some hides.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:22 PM   #3
Greatballzofire
Everything that Big Tattoo said about hides is spot on!

I would like to add, this small gap in the tank lid looks like an escape crevice to the snakes and they will try endlessly to squeeze their way through it unless you stopper it up. Maybe a length of aquarium tubing or some other sort of material to close off this most tempting of possible escape routes would stop them trying (and possibly succeeding! ) at escape.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:45 PM   #4
jameseallenii@gmail.com
Thanks fellas. good info.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:50 AM   #5
Naagas
As long as snakes can fit in that space, they will try.
Lots of young corns love laying there, and you can often hear them falling back down.

Beware of having a male and female together if the female is young. The male could get her pregnant too soon and then she will die.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:55 AM   #6
Kalie
It's normal behavior for sure, lots of them like to squeeze in small places. But be carefull, I did lose one like that once, she managed to push the lid out of the locks and escaped. I have since taped the lid secure in place with strong tape (tape on the outside of the viv of course ).

Old 12-20-2010, 04:52 AM   #7
jameseallenii@gmail.com
naagas....they had a clutch of eggs just before I bought the pair from a pet store. they were maybe eight months old then, and I've had them since early June.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:43 AM   #8
Kalie
Then I guess the female has been real lucky. That is way too young to have a clutch!
Although there are multiple debates about cohabbing corns, mostly this is agreed upon by both sides (pro and con): there are big risks by breeding too early.
And the fact that your female survived that clutch doesn't mean nessecarily that she will the next time.
It is possible that by next season she will be able to, some corns are sturdy enough at a young age, but it's hard to tell unless you have experience in that sort of things.
It's your choice of course, but I would also advise to seperate them.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:49 AM   #9
Kalie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naagas View Post
The male could get her pregnant too soon and then she will die.
Naagas be carefull in stating these things as a certainty. People that have young females that survived a clutch will just go "see! So that's not true", and they would be right, but would not be aware about the high risks.
Note that I'm not saying that it's safe (see my previous post)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!