Pro Products Radiant Heat Panels - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 04-26-2003, 09:25 PM   #1
jdg
Pro Products Radiant Heat Panels

I'm building a cage and was just about to purchase a Pro Products Radiant Heat Panel when I came across this page from Pro Exotics.

Now I'm a bit hesitant. I know they're guaranteed, but returning a product is always a hassle. And returning a product that you count on as a heat source would be even more of a hassle.

Does anyone else use these? How do they work for you? Have they been reliable?

Old 05-01-2003, 04:14 PM   #2
SPJ
I just installed a 12"x18" Pro Products radient heat panel in a custom built wood cage. When I talked to the people at Pro Products, I was told never to use adhesives with the panel. Either use the bolts they supply or use wood screws.

I have only been using it for about a week now but it seems to work fine. They also told me at Pro Products that this panel can be used with ANY thermostat or rheostat. They never said I had to get a "certain" type of controller.

Old 05-01-2003, 04:29 PM   #3
SPJ
Buy the Pro Products heat panel. It will work great for you.

Ignore what Pro Exotics has posted on their FAQ page. They have alterior motives behind that info.

Old 05-01-2003, 05:04 PM   #4
Audrina Head
Not long term yet, but I have been using one in my boa's cage for a little over a year now with no sign of problems. I have it bolted to the top of the cage and hooked to a simple on/off themostat.

Old 05-01-2003, 08:50 PM   #5
promist
Pro Heat radiant panels

I would like to set the record straight regarding Pro Exotic's FAQ allegations and our Pro Heat radiant panels. Please understand that what Robyn is stating is not true and due to another issue we have with them (PE), they are trying their best to try and "hurt" our product's reputation.
The facts of the matter are:
PE did buy panels from us in 1998. During the period they bought them, we did have a problem with a defective component from one of our suppliers that caused the copper buss to get hot enough to melt the surface coating of the panels, but not hot enough to cause other damage or a fire. Even though this happened, the panels, due to their construction, can't support combustion and therefore can't catch on fire, period. The damage Robyn shows was the worst that could happen. For the panel he posted to be in the condition shown, it had to have been used for an extended period after the problem first occurred. It would take many days or more of continued use/overheating to produce the damage shown. Any panel that had a problem would first get darker and darker in this region. If this was not noticed, it began to melt the plastic laminate which would also continue to worsen until the panel was unplugged or finally failed. If you look at the panels, there is a definite "line" where the failure occurred. If the panels were actually catching on fire, then why does every panel show the same damage with none of it spreading beyond the immediate area of the buss bar. Why wouldn't the entire face burn or at least spread once it started? Our panels are ASTM rated E84 < 25, which is the same rating fiberglass insulation and other similar products are rated. Our panels can't catch on fire and are actually "self extinguishing". They are made of non combustible materials. He also states that over 30% of the panels burnt out in this fashion which is also untrue. Many of the panels he returned to us were still in working condition, but as evidenced by the extreme darkening of the surface, were obviously being used in a manner warned not to do in our instruction/warranty information. Despite this, we replaced these panels as well and didn't even bring up the issue of misuse. He implies our panels are made in a garage; well our "garage" is a 15,000sq. ft. facility.
Since we made our heating element in large runs, we really couldn't tell what pieces were defective (not every piece was), so this problem haunted us for a couple of years. However, any panel that did fail was replaced and for what it is worth, even some of the replacement panels failed because of the same problem for the reason explained above. I can state that these customers who had panels fail are still using the product and are happy with the performance, safety and our company service. If our panels were such fire hazards, these people obviously wouldn't continue to use them. We also completely changed the design of these panels to meet the harsher requirements of our zoo and other professional sales, so the panels he is showing aren't even being made anymore. It is interesting that he used the product back in 1998, but has waited until now to "warn" the public, and only after we initiated an action against him in another matter.
I invite anyone to investigate this story and find anyone who can back up Robyn's claim of our Pro Heat radiant panels ever having caused any damage, caught on fire or caught anything on fire. With the exception of the damage to the panel surface in the picture, even Robyn had no other problems. Our product is UL listed & ASTM rated. If our product was such a risk, then one would think with 10's of thousands of units being used worldwide, why isn't anyone else complaining about them. In fact, we have one of the best reputations for a heat source of all of the products being sold.

Bob Pound promist@bestweb.net
Pro Products www.pro-products.com

Old 10-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #6
REDhead
Wow, this post is old.
I just want to add these panels are the best you can buy. they are great and im addicted to them. i have one that been plugged in for 15 years, you cant beat that.
Real heat, real good real safe
real smart.
Redfoot R.R. Keith Begin
Boston ma

Old 03-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #7
hadenglock
Ive been using Pro Products heat panels on my animals and i cannot argue with the results, they are the best heat panels money can buy, Bob even asks you first what kind of enclosure you have and all the specifics to help determine what size panel will work for you, and he has been right with my choices every single time. And to be a little off topic, his misting systems with out run any other competitor on the market!

Old 02-07-2014, 05:12 AM   #8
urstrly74
This thread is very old,however i would like to respond anyway,just in case others stubble upon this,just as I have now.. I have never used another heat panel other than proproducts to compare,because there is no need to! I have several and plan to order more,I can't imagine the quality being better from any other panel.. This is the first incident that I've heard of,shit does happen but that was yrs ago and problem was corrected;I know the panels are top notch! Will use nothing but Proproducts panels in my cages...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!