Outdoor enclosures? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-18-2020, 10:48 PM   #1
CaptivatingCritters
Outdoor enclosures?

I love monitor lizards and have been dismissing them as an impossibility because of cage size... but I just found out that outdoor enclosures were a thing, and it's actually pretty decent weather in southern california for it. I was wondering if anyone here has done this and if they had any advice or could show pictures of their setup

Old 04-19-2020, 01:42 AM   #2
kwysocki
I don' t have any yet for Monitors. but in AZ I have a 40 pound tortoise. Therefore in for the outside cage. Simple: Make sure they cant escape. Make sure there is shade and heat and variety of temps for the monitor to enjoy. During winters month have away to keep heat in like a thermal blanket that can be put over the cage at night to allow the heat to stay in and have all lights and heat on timers. You have to be ready to have the cage insulated for winter months and they shade and cool for Summer months. sorry if I missed anything. You can get circle feed trough that is 10X7X3 has a foundation and build around that. The lizard can't escape and provides good depth to burrow.

Old 04-19-2020, 10:25 AM   #3
som16724
Dont forget that raccoons and opossums live amongst you, and make sure that they cant get in.

Old 04-20-2020, 04:11 AM   #4
CaptivatingCritters
This is all great to read, I actually forgot that using a feed trough as a base is even a thing, that could be a great start to it. Also yeah, I would definitely want to make sure it was an enclosure both the monitor couldn't escape and wildlife couldn't get into. I honestly might need to find someone to help me build this if I end up going this route. I've made a few attempts at cage building and always make a small mistake somewhere along the line and have to scrap the whole thing in a year or two. :E

Old 05-11-2020, 02:39 AM   #5
kwysocki
you can find a person on offer up probally that does cages or have a handy man build something. Kamp Kean youtube channel is great for outdoor cages. Look at his setups for ideas

Old 06-15-2020, 11:54 PM   #6
TIBOR PAPP
Keeping monitors outside is a lot of fun ..this is how I did ..

Old 07-06-2020, 05:52 PM   #7
kwysocki
WHite throat Monitor outside cage

check out my rescued White Throat
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2020, 05:58 PM   #8
CaptivatingCritters
Very cool setups

Old 07-07-2020, 01:43 PM   #9
kwysocki
thank you

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!