Advice for new Rosy Boa project - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-20-2020, 11:34 AM   #1
Scarlet33
Advice for new Rosy Boa project

I'm looking for information regarding breeding Rosy Boas. I've loved Rosys since when I was little and unfortunately had to give my rosy away when I was in college since I couldn't take her with me. Now, many years later I want to try breeding as a side gig/ hobby.

I've heavily researched the basics, however before I start my slow dip into this project I would love more information from experienced breeders.

1. It seems like overall in the reptile world Rosy Boas are overlooked in favor of corn snakes, ball pythons, king snakes and of course Kenyan sand boas. Is there a reason breeders or customers overlook rosys in favor of other snakes?

2. What are the top three biggest issues/mistakes new breeders tend to have?

3. I figure there are probably three levels of income from breeding.
1. Enough for family Christmas presents and maybe a vacation.
2. Heavily contributing to household income.
3. Living off of breeding.

I am not interested in #3, but I would like advice on how to eventually get to #2 and what scale of a breeding project I would need. I am patient and know it will take years to get to #1, let alone #2.

4. I have heavily researched rosys, however localities and morphs vs line traits seem somewhat convoluted, not to mention official names. What resources would you recommend to help straighten out my understanding?

I am looking at getting a female Hypo rosy this fall and then a male snowwhite next fall and breeding the pair once they are old/big enough.

Any additional advice is greatly appreciated!

Old 08-20-2020, 12:11 PM   #2
Socratic Monologue
Rosies are not prolific, and take ~5 years to raise to breeding size. That's one reason why they aren't more popular -- there aren't enough of them.

This is also the reason why there isn't any money to be made breeding them (or most other herps for that matter). Food, a room, heating costs, vet bills, and ~5 neos a year per female (if they don't miss a year) makes for somewhere around break-even, not counting your labor. A person would be many thousands of dollars ahead buying Amazon stock, or getting a part time job at a gas station, during the five years it would take to get things rolling.

Old 08-21-2020, 12:29 AM   #3
Thee Rosy Man
Join rosy nation on Facebook or rosy boa locales also on Facebook good info and all rosy community

Old 08-23-2020, 02:19 AM   #4
Tigger99
Yea you should just do it because you love rosy boas not because you want to make profit and with food heating and constant upgrading of equipment to keep everything going correctly breaking even would be awesome and fund a cool hobby and Everything else is cherries a vacation a year would be really hard to achieve without a lot of really nice females and a good clientele or making some new crazy morph and the most common level of income for 90% of reptile breeders Is a couple thousand in the hole and somehow 8 more snakes so break even and you’re doin pretty good

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
advice, boa, breeding, newbie, rosy