Fl.International Reptile Show? - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shows & Events

Notices

Shows & Events Since these are such a big part of our business, it is appropriate that we discuss them from a business perspective.

Old 03-30-2006, 08:46 AM   #51
audrypayne
It amazes me that people are still sinking $$$ into Tonys' shows. I really hate it for the vendors. But have not they all been told over & over again about the shady dealings? I've been asked by a friend not to post any more until after the shows, for fear of hurting the vendors. If I would have never posted anything, the damage would have still been done. This should be a lesson to all. You have to be careful where your money is spent. However, I would still like to wish everyone involved the best of luck.

Old 04-01-2006, 07:54 PM   #52
Suncoast Herpetological
Just for the record!

As I did with an earlier post made on the Tampa Show Wars thread, I hesitated and thought long and hard before deciding to make this post. After all, Alex’s March show has come and gone and was a resounding success. What possible reason is there to prolong this dispute? What can it gain me but a more secure seat in the ongoing turmoil?

What finally made me decide to make this post was a couple of recent conversations with fellow breeders. As most who read here know, I came out squarely on Alex’s side in this dispute. I have known both Tony and Alex for several years and, as a result have been privy to a lot of the back story that has not been available to the public.

Since the show, I have contacted and been contacted by over a dozen fellow breeders / vendors and the resounding majority of the support has been pro Alex.. But what disturbed me most was a couple of the breeders who, without any particular reason, stated that they were going to support Tony basically out of blind loyalty and, for lack of a better word, his longevity in the business.

Folks, I am a big fan of loyalty. A lot of you reading know that I was a supporter of Mr. Cueto long after he ceased to deserve that support. I freely used phrases like “Don’t bite the hand that feeds you” and “If we are working the shows he deserves our support 100%”. The problem with that sort of mind set is that you can suddenly wake up one morning and realize you are supporting the wrong side without having the facts.

For the past few months, Tony has spent the majority of his time trying to do anything possible to undermine Alex’s show and attempt to promote his own. The disturbing thing is that the method he chose to use was a string of bald faced lies. My main purpose in writing this post is to illustrate to the few folks out there who are still supporting him without the facts exactly who and what they are supporting

The quotes following are taken from either Emails that have been circulated or from postings made over the past few months on Tony’s website

Quote:
Alex must have also forgot but the courts will not, a legally binding agreement drafted by Gino Sassani that Alex Russell signed, agreeing to not operate a show within two hundred mile area of our shows..”

This was the first piece of misinformation Tony posted. I won’t spend much time on it except to say that Alex, Gino and Tony himself all verified to me that no such signed agreement ever existed. After verifying this to me directly, Tony continued to post that the signed agreement existed for another 2 months.

Quote:
I have retained a law firm to seek damages against Alex Russell for his illegal and immoral actions and we are also seeking a court injunction against his show and are hopeful (and confident after news of legal development I received Friday) for the injunction to be issued just in time prior to his show

Lie number two. The law firm that Tony stated he had hired , when contacted with questions regarding the proceedings, stated that he was not a client and that they were not working on any injunction. This crap was concocted for the sole purpose of scaring vendors and customers away from the show. Amazing that a man who claims to be pro vendor thought nothing about manufacturing a blatant lie to damage attendance and sales at the show.

Lie number three

Approximately two weeks prior to the Tampa Show, Tony posted something new on his website stating that he received a letter from Alex claiming that he had very few vendors and that he thought his show was going to be a failure. I am paraphrasing this as it is one of the few statements I do not have a direct copy of. The amusing thing is that the letter Tony referred to was a Cease and Desist Letter sent to him by Alex’s attorney that simply stated if Tony did not remove all of the slanderous and false statements he had made regarding Alex from his site and issue a retraction, he would be sued for damages.

Magically, within 24 hours, all of the comments were removed and a half assed apology was posted.

In addition, he has managed to attack virtually every other promoter out there at one time or another. For some reason, Tony seems to think that once he does a show in an area, the city belongs to him by manifest destiny. This is not the first time he has blindly attacked Alex. Then there was the Cathy Elrod incident. There is also a promoter in Atlanta he is at odds with. The funniest thing is that he claims Alex operates out of ego. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. No accountability and it is all someone else’s fault. That is Tony’s credo

This one is my favorite

Quote:
Alex Russell is one of the dirtiest, lowest human being I have ever had the misfortune to know and trust. He cares about nothing or anyone but his pocket and his ego

For those who have worked both Alex’s and Tony’s shows, this is the biggest joke of all. Alex’s shows are organized, vendor friendly, and if a problem does arise, it is attended to immediately. He is always professional and thinks of the vendors and the show first.

At virtually every one of Tony’s shows over the past several years, the only constant has been the chaos. No air conditioning or lights during set up, no table assignments done. No vendor packs prepared His shows have been deteriorating for the past few years what with the game of musical venues in Atlanta last year and a late opening at the Carolina show.

What a lot of you seem to forget is that the good and well run shows Tony used to promote were successful for one reason, Alex was running them. Once they severed ties, that was the end of any semblance of professionalism and organization at any of the Southeastern Shows. It amazes me that so many seem to forget and overlook this.

On the issue of character, I believe that with the exception of one post here on Fauna, Alex has remained professional and above boards in his comments

The following are a few selective excerpts from postings and Emails that have made the rounds from Tony

Quote:
Alex Russell is one of the dirtiest, lowest human being I have ever had the misfortune to know and trust
Quote:
Just like I can say from my heart, with no drought that you are the lowest, dirtiest backstabbing parasite I have had the misfortune in my life to know
Quote:
You low life son of a bitch

Quote:
and if you give him any attitude or any of your games, I will personally come to Tampa and shoot you. That is not a threat, it is a promise from the bottom of my heart.
The above is a real gem

Quote:
Alex Russell is a parasite that has no backbone,
I guess it filters down to a decision as to who you want to align yourself with and have you name linked to in this industry. I, and a lot of others have made a decision based on the reprehensible way that Tony has behaved in this situation over the last few months. I guess it surprises me that others seem to be unwilling to do the same.

This will be my last post on this subject as I have said all I felt compelled to say.

For the vendors working Clearwater, Good luck and I wish you well.

Old 04-01-2006, 08:06 PM   #53
homegrownherps

Old 04-01-2006, 10:10 PM   #54
audrypayne
Bravo! Bravo! Very well written. Hopefully the blind ones will see the light.

Old 04-01-2006, 10:15 PM   #55
eric adrignola
Anyone heard form Alex, I've been trying to get in touch with him about doing a chameleon show in Raleigh?

Old 04-02-2006, 01:31 AM   #56
Gino
John, you said some things that just needed to be said.
I feel the need to be counted in support of your courage.

I certainly don’t wish the Clearwater vendors a bad show.
Still. At what point does one say “enough. I have to stand up for what’s right”?
Tony has lied to my face and I know for a fact he has lied on his website and in the E-mails.
I know this, you see, because he asked me to verify one of those lies.
I decided not to. Yes, he had bribes aplenty for me as well.
This is not my opinion. I state it as a fact. The man is not honest.
Perhaps what hurts here most is there are still a handful of people that are critical of whatever Alex has done.
When is it simply hypocritical to support a man you know is dishonest while criticizing another who has not wronged you?
How do you support a man who threatens to go to a venue and SHOOT PEOPLE!
Are you insane?

He’s threatened to kill Alex and how many of you were pressured for years about losing Tony’s support if you did another show?
Some have sold their dignity for the price of a few tables.
Many of us have taken a stand that we simply value ourselves enough that we will not be dealt with so dishonestly and dishonorably.

This area will not flourish with 2 shows.
We can vote with our $$'s for tables.
It's time to decide exactly what kind of a show you want.
I would rather deal with someone I can trust. I have been lied to for the last time.
What about you?
Remember if you are a Clearwater vendor, your name was found on the same web site that these quotes were published on. Are you proud of the image it represents?

Bravo John for having the courage to speak the truth.
I can assure you these E-Mails he quotes are real and there are far worse.
Things we just couldn’t print here.
Think about it. Do the right thing.
Take Care,
Gino

Old 04-02-2006, 08:39 AM   #57
audrypayne
I can understand why some people still stand behind him. He has a way of turning things around to make him look like the innocent victim. I, myself was once fooled. I had some contact with him right before his last Atlanta show. Once he admitted HIS OWN mistakes at poor planning, I had thought maybe he had actually changed.
He still has it on his website(marketing page) a guarantee to the vendors about a reimbursement of space fees. I encourage all involved to read this guarantee. I had pointed out the fact that the Greenville show was falsely advertised, yet I received no refund. Lies & more lies. This man would cut his own mother's throat if he thought it would make him money. And to all the vendors at Clearwater, I sure hope you enjoy the charm & sugar-coating that I'm sure you'll get at the upcoming show. He'll try to be everyone's best friend. Boo-hoo innocent victim crap.

Old 04-02-2006, 10:01 AM   #58
rad2217
As a newcomer to vending,and one who has attended many shows as a customer to many of You.It is easy for Me to see where to place My alliegence.With Alex & Roark putting on steller shows,Is there room for sub-standard shows?
It is My hope to be apart of a unified & prosperous "Herp Family" trying to promote (what We have the priviledge of doing) Most of Our, hobbies & To make money doing it.
Looking forward to doing just that!

Old 04-02-2006, 10:28 AM   #59
homegrownherps
Quality ???

Its plain to see that, at this point Tony will allow just about anyone to sell at one of his shows. So with that said, what kind of quality will you be seeing in the animals being sold at his show?
This is not directed to any one in particular, and certainly all of the vendors are not placed in this catagory. JMO

Old 04-02-2006, 10:38 AM   #60
audrypayne
I have seen way too many sick or dead animals for sale at his shows. Even one of his sponsors had sick, skinny, dehydrated animals for sale with pictures on their website. A quick search on the BOI is all you'll need. As for the so-called friend that asked me not to post- I never told you that I wouldn't, but gave you reasons why I should. So I didn't go back on my word. A true friend would not have asked me to keep quiet. That would be equivalent to supporting Tonys crap. If you'd like to support him, fine. But I make my own choices and my opinion apparently varies from yours.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!