Shipping refund? Am I right or wrong? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 03-31-2003, 01:33 AM   #1
teejayem
Shipping refund? Am I right or wrong?

I would like to get your opinions on a recent matter.
I purchased a python for $180 shipped. When it arrived at my residence there were some visible problems with the python, so I called the seller and returned the python. I payed the return shipping. When I recieved the refund check, it was for $145. A note attached advised that the seller does not refund shipping charges. When I made the seller aware that I put out an additional $35 to send it back, the seller replied "you said you would pay for return shipping". Now, I only paid for the return shipping because I thought I would recieve my $180 back.
I contacted the seller and advised that I feel I'm out $70, with nothing to show for it, only because I was sent a snake with some problems (which the seller does not despute). If I had just not liked the size or color of the snake and did not want to keep it, I can understand being out $70. Unfortunatly I did not want to keep this snake because was not 100% healthy. I'm OK with the fact that they don't refund original shipping charges, but I believe I should recieve a refund for my $35 return shipping charges.
I know that $35 won't break the bank and that is why I did not post this on the BOI, but I ask you, am I off my rocker for thinking this way?
Please give me your opinions on this matter.
Thanks
Tom Marello

Old 03-31-2003, 06:26 AM   #2
Clay Davenport
Considering the reason for the return, health problems, then yes I would say you are entitled to full refund of shipping charges, both ways . This is because the snake should have never been shipped in the first place if it was not in 100% health, unless you were informed of this up front and agreed to take it as such.
Had the reason for the return had nothing to do with the health of the animal, but instead because you felt he was agressive, or just wanted something else, then you would be responsible fo rthe shipping both ways.
This is my policy on returns. If the problem was with me, then the buyer is out nothing, but if the animal is healthy and just as I said it was but the seller wants to return it then all they will get is the purchase price and I am out nothing. It's a matter of taking responsibility for one's own actions and decisions.

Granted I don't know the nature of the problem exactly, but you say he does not dispute there was a health problem, then he chose to ship out a sick snake so the responsibility is his.
Having said all that, my answer and I would say most others, will only be our opinion and/or how we would handle it ourselves. This issue depends on the seller, his ethics, and his level of commitment to customer satisfaction. He can use his stated policy of not refunding shipping charges to protect himself on a technicality, but that does not change the fact that the fault was his and regardless of "policy" it remains his responsibility.

The exact nature of the problems and any disclosure of them by the seller might reverse the situation however, but based only on what you have written in your post, that is my opinion.

Old 03-31-2003, 10:07 AM   #3
teejayem
There were two problems with the python. The first was that one of its eyes was 1/3 cloudy. This cloudyness was inside the eye and appeared to be the start of an infection. This was not due to an upcoming shed. The second was a sign of a resperatory infection, popping sounds and some mucus in the mouth. The second problem could be debated, but the first was undesputable. In fact, the seller advised that they took the snake to the vet (upon return) and they were told that the python may have gotten some bedding lodged in the corner of its eye and this may have started the infection. While these problems may not be the end of the world for some people I did not want to deal with them and chose to return the snake.
Tom

Old 03-31-2003, 10:45 PM   #4
sschind
I agree with Clay. If the reason for the return was health related then you should have been sent a refund for the full amount that you paid plus the amount for the return shipping.

Steve Schindler

Old 04-01-2003, 11:09 AM   #5
Wilomn
I think you should have gotten a refund on shipping both ways. Why should you pay for something that wasn't healthy?

I would take this to the BOI and see if that doesn't get some results for you. This is not how a reputable person should handle his business.

Wes Pollock

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!