Good gecko to start breeding with?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-12-2007, 07:40 PM   #1
Hypancistrus
Good gecko to start breeding with??

Tips? Thoughts? Ideas??

I've been reading a lot about Rhacodactylus sp., like Crested's and Gargoyles, and also Leo's. But I am not sure which is best to start with or even where to begin....

Also... are there any good web pages for the gecko "morphs" to show how they will combine with one another?

Old 03-12-2007, 10:54 PM   #2
Otter_23
For a starter I prefer Cresteds because

1. No extra heat required (just don't get them over 80-82 degrees)
2. Don't need to feed insects
3. They are cool looking

Draw back

If they drop their tail it won't grow back.

I would look around on Matt's site

http://www.pangeareptile.com/projects.htm

Old 03-13-2007, 01:01 PM   #3
KelliH
I would recommend leopard geckos. They are a bit hardier than Rhacodactylus, and I feel they are the best "starter" gecko. Although cresteds are a real close 2nd choice!

Old 03-13-2007, 07:37 PM   #4
Hypancistrus
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH
I would recommend leopard geckos. They are a bit hardier than Rhacodactylus, and I feel they are the best "starter" gecko. Although cresteds are a real close 2nd choice!
Are there any sites listing the morphs of leopard geckos, and how they combine??

Old 03-13-2007, 08:42 PM   #5
Playnwifsnot
I agree,go with the leos, or maybe the african fat tail gecko. Do a little research, look up leo gecko morphs, consider joining a yahoo group for leopard gecko, maybe you can find some people who can point you in the right direction of a good breeder which I can honestly say sundial reptiles have great herps, I have gotten several bearded dragons, and all the other species they breed are just as beautiful, they breed first and formost health and size, but th olors are great also.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:18 PM   #6
Hypancistrus
Another question... is it possible to buy young geckos who are sexed, like I can do with corn snakes? Or is that infeasible? Is the only way to guarantee a pair or trio to purchase 6-8 young geckos and raise them?

Old 03-17-2007, 09:23 AM   #7
Playnwifsnot
IMO I think leo geckos are easier to sex when not fully mature than crested geckos as the female crested still has a bit of a buldge. But there, as always never a 100%, just a guess. So yes if you are buying babies, buy a large group of them to insure you are going to at least get a couple of each. But leo geckos have gotten into some fancy morphs as of lately, and can be pretty pricey and you see mostly adults for them in the $200 and up range, some of the really nice ones go for $400, so do remember you have some stiff compitition, know what you are buying and price accordingly.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!