Boa comparison to retic. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-09-2022, 02:42 PM   #1
allreptiles1966
Boa comparison to retic.

Are retics as easy to care for as boas? What’s their temperament like if handled regularly? I am a very experienced boa owner with biggest owned being over 9’.

Thank you to any who answer.

Rich

Old 03-09-2022, 05:23 PM   #2
bcr229
Attitude-wise they are individuals. Don't think small = easy to handle, my biggest females are also the best-tempered.

I feed mine f/t and the feeders are warmed in using water, so they're damp if not sopping wet when they go down the hatch. A few days later I deal with a urine-flooded enclosure.

Retics eat more often and thus they eliminate more often. They also make bigger messes. I've never had to clean feces off the ceiling of a boa enclosure, or had a boa do this:
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2022, 07:01 PM   #3
allreptiles1966
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
Attitude-wise they are individuals. Don't think small = easy to handle, my biggest females are also the best-tempered.

I feed mine f/t and the feeders are warmed in using water, so they're damp if not sopping wet when they go down the hatch. A few days later I deal with a urine-flooded enclosure.

Retics eat more often and thus they eliminate more often. They also make bigger messes. I've never had to clean feces off the ceiling of a boa enclosure, or had a boa do this:
OMG. That’s nasty. That right there might just help my decision, Melinda 😉

Old 03-09-2022, 05:36 PM   #4
Insomniac101
Hi Rich,

I keep boas, burms, and retics; all adults. As I'm sure you know, all animals are individuals, some having dispositions not "typical" of the breed.

In my experience, my boas are the most agreeable to handling. Next are my burms, although I have one whose only goal in life, is to staple my face. My retics can be cage defensive, especially when hungry, but are fine once they know they're not getting food. I have a 15' female that is always mellow, which is nice with a snake that big.

If you have experience with large boas, I don't see why you couldn't keep retics. Just keep in mind that they can get bigger than most boas, and some individuals are cranky. Also, understand how strong snakes of that size are. I never handle mine alone - my husband helps me with them, just in case some switch in their tiny brain gets flipped on, and they try to kill me!

Old 03-09-2022, 07:07 PM   #5
allreptiles1966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac101 View Post
Hi Rich,

I keep boas, burms, and retics; all adults. As I'm sure you know, all animals are individuals, some having dispositions not "typical" of the breed.

In my experience, my boas are the most agreeable to handling. Next are my burms, although I have one whose only goal in life, is to staple my face. My retics can be cage defensive, especially when hungry, but are fine once they know they're not getting food. I have a 15' female that is always mellow, which is nice with a snake that big.

If you have experience with large boas, I don't see why you couldn't keep retics. Just keep in mind that they can get bigger than most boas, and some individuals are cranky. Also, understand how strong snakes of that size are. I never handle mine alone - my husband helps me with them, just in case some switch in their tiny brain gets flipped on, and they try to kill me!
I’ve seemed to luck out in the boa department. I’ve only had 1 male dh sunglow boa that has tagged me 4-5 times. So I always thought boas were mellow by nature.

If boas got 15’, I’d be satisfied.
Thank you for taking the time. Melinda’s post has got me thinking. Right now I just put my boas in a tote and roll up my paper in my boa cages and give a good clorhexidine. That pic with feces all over, well, you know.

Rich

Old 03-09-2022, 09:34 PM   #6
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by allreptiles1966 View Post
That pic with feces all over, well, you know.
That's urate, not feces. He had it on his face too. Fortunately it was a warm day so I took him outside and gave him a bath.

Usually they're not that bad but everything about them is bigger compared to boas - attitudes, feeders, caging, messes, expenses. They're fun but I'd never try to care for one by myself either.

Old 03-10-2022, 06:47 AM   #7
allreptiles1966
Quote:
That's urate, not feces. He had it on his face too. Fortunately it was a warm day so I took him outside and gave him a bath.

Usually they're not that bad but everything about them is bigger compared to boas - attitudes, feeders, caging, messes, expenses. They're fun but I'd never try to care for one by myself either.
I actually know that’s urates. Not sure why I typed poo. Thanks for the correction though.

As a long time boa keeper/breeder, I’ve had to maintain all my big 7’-9’+ boas myself. But, I did keep two razors, a knife and a bottle of alcohol in my boa room. Just in case.
I actually thought about it seriously last night and decided not to get one. I have no one to help me in case of a problem. My other house I had a couple neighbors that would help if need be. But we rent tgat house out and moved to the country. No help if needed. None that would matter. So many pretty retics too!!

I appreciate your time Melinda! You helped me make my decision pretty easy.

Rich

Old 03-10-2022, 09:15 AM   #8
bcr229
You're in NY so you'd have to move first anyway :P

If you haven't looked in to carpet pythons, do. Mine is just as curious and interactive as my retics but in a smaller package.

Old 03-10-2022, 03:01 PM   #9
allreptiles1966
Quote:
You're in NY so you'd have to move first anyway :P

If you haven't looked in to carpet pythons, do. Mine is just as curious and interactive as my retics but in a smaller package.
Funny thing is, they are always being sold on cl in Ny. So I was thinking to be an illegal owner. But no worries now. No retics. Just big boas. Carpets are to small bodied. And the retics has some nice morph colors.

Old 03-10-2022, 03:21 PM   #10
Socratic Monologue
Quote:
Originally Posted by allreptiles1966 View Post
Funny thing is, they are always being sold on cl in Ny. So I was thinking to be an illegal owner.
Whenever I read news reports of keepers getting their entire collections confiscated and sent to the "humane" society (probably to die) because some vindictive neighbor saw a technically illegal animal through the window I shudder. I'd be nervous about a knock on my door from the animal control folks.

It is really good that you're so happy with boas. I've never kept one (just a bit big for my tastes) but they sound like lovely snakes.