Genetics?.... again. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-15-2004, 02:52 AM   #1
Bringerofdoom
Genetics?.... again.

ok, this thread i had to start because my other is locked and i still was actually wanted to know more stuff. i also want to see what idea's other people have or whats even possible. if you got an idea that sounds bizzare, just say it anyways.

i really do like olivia's tang patternless idea. imagine a hatchling sporting some carrot tail and a tang body, but have the patternless markings.

also what all stuff, if any have been done with the blizzards? anyone tried breeding them to albino's? to make a kind of blue albino.

could it be possible to breed a carrot tail to a blizzard, yet retain the blizzards body color? i think that would be neat to see, if its possible.

Old 11-15-2004, 03:16 AM   #2
aliceinwl
I know that both Robin, Marcia, and several others are working on tang patternless. This would be a selectively bred trait. In addition to breeding high color patternless to one another, patternless have been out crossed to tangs and carrot tails to produce hets which can then be bred together in the hopes of producing tang pats. In terms of keeping the markings into adulthood, I'm not sure if anyone's been breeding for it. To breed for it, I'd select patternless that retained their pattern the longest and breed them together.

Albino blizzards (aka blazing blizzards) have been produced from all three albino strains. So far I know of only 1 bell blazing, and 2 rainwater blazings. I'm not sure how many tremper blazings have been produced but they would be the most common. None of the blazings that I've seen have been blue, but you could also select for this by selective breeding.

Some blizzards show some yellow at the base of their tail. I'm not sure how much work is going into intensifying this, but Kelli does have a group for sale on her available page which includes a tangerine and a carrot-tail het for blizzard. This would be a good group to start with.

Because none of the morphs you mentioned have been produced only time will tell if it is possible. The selective breeding needed to produce them will also take time as it will doubtlessly take many generations to refine the traits.

-Alice

Old 11-15-2004, 03:50 AM   #3
Bringerofdoom
thanks for the info alice.

i wasnt looking to to keep the patternless markings into adulthood. i was suggesting it would be neat to see one hatch with it, but the tang body. i know the initial pattern will fade rather quickly, i wouldnt want them to keep it.

i also have seen some blizzards with yellow tail bases. thats what made me wonder if its possible.

here is a picture i did to see what a CT blizzard could look like, fire and ice blizzards anyone?
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2004, 05:48 AM   #4
Bringerofdoom
also one more thing, this is kinda off topic. how good is temperature sexing leos? i mean is it 100% accurate or what? soon im going through some of my leo's that were temp sexed to double check, but i was wondering could i be in for a surprise?

Old 11-15-2004, 07:51 PM   #5
aliceinwl
In my experience incubating at or slightly bellow 80 is almost 100% effective in giving you all females. If you have spikes or if you up the temp to the low 80's a few males will sneak through. I have incubated at 90 to produce males and have had about 75 % turn out to be male. I use a hovabator so there are lots of fluctuations so this could be why my perecentage of males isn't higher.

A couple of years ago I tried the a modified version of the tremper method and left the temps 80 for females for the first two to three weeks to set the sex then gradulally upped the temp to the upper 80s with a max of 90 to improve color. Color didn't improve. I didn't use that method this year and the babies came out the same. What I did get doing this, was a bunch of males.

-Alice

Old 11-16-2004, 01:48 AM   #6
dragonflyreptiles
Re: Genetics?.... again.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bringerofdoom
ok, this thread i had to start because my other is locked and i still was actually wanted to know more stuff. i also want to see what idea's other people have or whats even possible. if you got an idea that sounds bizzare, just say it anyways.

i really do like olivia's tang patternless idea. imagine a hatchling sporting some carrot tail and a tang body, but have the patternless markings.

also what all stuff, if any have been done with the blizzards? anyone tried breeding them to albino's? to make a kind of blue albino.

could it be possible to breed a carrot tail to a blizzard, yet retain the blizzards body color? i think that would be neat to see, if its possible.
the Tang body (orange) with some carrot tail and patternless markings is well uderway

They are call APTOR
http://leopardgecko.com/aptor.html

I think it is very possible as it has been done already

Old 11-16-2004, 02:21 AM   #7
Bringerofdoom
thats kind of different than the aptor, scince it has different genes. tremper even says its not related to patternless leo's.

Old 11-16-2004, 02:26 AM   #8
Bringerofdoom
Quote:
This new patternless gene is totally separate from the "leucistic" and blizzard lines, and therefore, will combine genetically with all other known morphs
Quote:
the A.P.T.O.R. = a Carrot-head, Carrot-tail, Hypo Tangerine, Patternless, Tremper Albino in both normal and Giant size.
it also appears that they come from albino's. scince they sell "CARROT-HEAD TANGERINE JUNGLE ALBINO - HET FOR A.P.T.O.R". not to mention the 2 month old aptor does not show the patternless youth patterns.

like i said this is just a little different than that.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!