Troublesome IR - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
RogerProws
Troublesome IR

I recieved a shipment from someone on this site that was not as advertised, and now all of the snakes that were in my quarentine room have contracted it. I have dealt many times with RI and have had good luck most times with Baytril and Pen G combo. However, with this strain it seemed to do nothing and it has spread like wildfire through my balls, though none of the colubrids or boas seem to be particularly succeptable to it.

I had a check from a vet that said a combo of baytril and fortaz would be the best. I have now done my 4th series with that combination and had the same result: it appears to go away for a month or so and then it is back in full form.

My temps are 92 hot side and 82-84 cool side. A few of the snakes are unfortunately having to be co-habitated. Water is provided at all times and kept clean, cages are cleaned weekly with Novasan.

I have talked to a friend of mine who suggested Danrofloxicin (sp?). My understanding is that it is in the same family as the baytril, but more effective and given the previous vet recomendation I thought it made sense. Any other suggestions or meds that you have tried with success? This is by FAR the most troublesome strain that I have ever dealt with and any help is much appreciated. Also, would you recomend dosing the Danrofloxicin along with the Fortaz? My vet is unsure (I use what I have available, but he is by his own admission a dog and cat vet).

Thanks,

Roger prows
Rockstar Pets

Old 06-22-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
RogerProws
Also, need to know the dosage on the danrofloxicin, my vet again is unsure. Thanks

Old 06-24-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
HyderHouseHerps
Has your vet sent out a culture and sensitivity yet?

Old 06-24-2010, 11:44 PM   #4
hhmoore
Using what you have available is not always a good option - I'm sure you've heard the explanation, so "nuff said".

Fortaz is generally used with an aminoglycoside (ie, Amikacin). I've heard of a few instances where people have used Fortaz/Baytril...but I can't say that the effect was impressive.

Rather than coming to a forum to ask about drugs, stop screwing around and have a C&S done. Identify the organisms and find out how to treat it...before its too late to have a positive outcome.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:31 PM   #5
RogerProws
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Using what you have available is not always a good option - I'm sure you've heard the explanation, so "nuff said".

Fortaz is generally used with an aminoglycoside (ie, Amikacin). I've heard of a few instances where people have used Fortaz/Baytril...but I can't say that the effect was impressive.

Rather than coming to a forum to ask about drugs, stop screwing around and have a C&S done. Identify the organisms and find out how to treat it...before its too late to have a positive outcome.
I have had it done and the vet recomended the combo of baytril and fortaz which I have tried without success, which is why I am looking for a different option; and why I had decided to try the danofloxicin as it is in the same baytril/fortaz famitly and had a good friend who had talked to a much more reputable vet than I have available to me and had come highly recommended from that vet in this situation.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
RogerProws
Oh, and btw, got the dosage figured out. Thanks again.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:19 PM   #7
sFlsniper
how did it turn out for you? I sure hope good. Very sorry to hear about your troubles...

Old 07-22-2010, 11:50 PM   #8
sFlsniper
I hope you have solved your issue- but I have come accross someone else in your situation that had no luck with Baytril, Fortaz and others.

here's a link to what worked for him with Boas:

http://www.redtailboas.com/forum/hea...tion-boas.html

Old 07-23-2010, 12:49 PM   #9
RogerProws
Quote:
Originally Posted by sFlsniper View Post
I hope you have solved your issue- but I have come accross someone else in your situation that had no luck with Baytril, Fortaz and others.

here's a link to what worked for him with Boas:

http://www.redtailboas.com/forum/hea...tion-boas.html
Thanks for the help. They seem to be responding to the ceftazidime so far, but I've seen this happen before. Will give that a shot if it doesn't work.

Thanks again

Old 07-23-2010, 11:40 PM   #10
HyderHouseHerps
Had mixed results with fortaz but I think its one of the best borad spectrum ones. Hopefully you are giving them fluids with all these antibiotics?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!