UNDERWEIGHT bearded dragon - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #11
angie.h
Check the temps.of her basking site....she may be avoiding the spot bulb.Basking temp.should be around 105 but not much higher.I prefer household bulbs to spot bulbs.You can get a gram scale at some Wal-marts.Could you post a pic of her?We could see how bad[or not bad] she really looks right away!! Also,go to the sites that I mentioned...Rockinar dragons or Rainbow bearded dragons....all set-up info is there for you.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:40 PM   #12
angie.h
Ooooops....Rockinar dragonz with a Z,not an S

Old 01-08-2010, 04:26 PM   #13
TheTurtleTracker
Here are the photos
What do you make of them?
I was way off on the length (she would be 14.5" with her entire tail)

Old 01-08-2010, 04:33 PM   #14
angie.h
Poor little amputee....well,just keep feeding her insects at least twice daily...the recommendation that many websites have of 20% insects,80% veg.doesn't apply to an underweight dragon who is ready to eat what you give her.Wash the leafy veg. and spray them with water when you give them.Also,soak her at least every other day about 5-10 min.in warm water to see if she'll drink.She looks dehydrated.She's not as thin as you described but def. needs TLC.Be careful of that substrate...you are better off with newspaper....no risk of impaction.Hope she improves !!

Old 01-08-2010, 04:53 PM   #15
TheTurtleTracker
Thanks! I'll keep you updated!

Old 01-08-2010, 08:10 PM   #16
debhogman
I read you use household bulbs for basking bulbs... What wattage 100W or 75W.. I go through some lightbulbs and never thought about normal household bulbs would be definately less expensive. Thanks again Angie for the beautiful little boy - we name Bon Jovi (All our dragons are 80's bands or singers)... He is a sweety and becoming a hearty eater.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:53 PM   #17
angie.h
Hi Deb... as far as wattage,I use whatever heats the cage properly.Just check your temps.I've used halogen as well...just as long as the cage is bright [ I don't use any red or blue bulbs] UVB is available,and the temps.are at the proper range.For a very large cage it may take 2 bulbs.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #18
TheTurtleTracker
Stop!

As off topic as this may be DEB I would stick to the specialized reptile bulbs. I am 17 years old and have a collection of well over 30 reptiles and amphibians. It is expensive when it come to lightbulbs, but I believe they sell them for a reason.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:58 PM   #19
angie.h
Not really off topic,for UVB you need special bulbs.....either linear tube flourescent which don't provide heat,hence the use of household bulbs or Mercury vapor which provides light AND heat,and depending on your set up may require no extra, or some extra heat.It's a complicated topic,but you will find on other breeders websites the same info.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!