Tail Rot; When to treat? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-11-2017, 07:43 PM   #1
rirvinbrady
Tail Rot; When to treat?

Alright, my first bearded dragon.
Male, 1-2 years old, nothing that he should be able to injure himself on and his last shed was 1 month ago.
(He seemed to have shed well and easily.)

I received him about 6 months ago.

The tip of his tail, approx. 1 centimeter has always been darker. I noticed today that it now appears to have a notch half way down, so I suspect tail rot. The skin isn't open anywhere and he eats like a champ.

I was trying to see photos of the progression of tail rot, when antibiotics are needed, etc. The length of dark coloration hasn't gotten worse. He seems to be a very mild case.

Is tail rot something that will always get worse and need treatment or could this resolve itself?

I'm happy to take him to a vet if it is truly needed.
I just don't know the typical timeline of this issue, possible treatments, etc. like I do with dogs and cats. (I'm a Veterinary Technician, so I don't believe everything is a crisis like the Internet alludes too.)

Any guidance would be appreciated, thanks!

Old 03-12-2017, 11:10 PM   #2
elena
A picture would be helpful.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:15 PM   #3
rirvinbrady
I tried to add one prior, looks like I just made 2 threads instead. Here you go.
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2017, 07:55 PM   #4
elena
I personally don't feel that requires medical attention. Is it hard and crusty or soft? If soft, it may be a problem as infection can happen, but if it is hard and dry, the tail tip will most likely simply fall off on it's own, causing no health concern.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:21 PM   #5
rirvinbrady
It is definitely hard. No open areas and he isn't bothered by it. Appreciate your input, it was what I was thinking but no experience to back it up.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:32 AM   #6
Mistyck
It's nothing to treat as it isn't travelling and was most likely a previous stuck shed that came off this go around. The tip of the tail has likely been that way the whole time, but is just showing with the shed.

If he's not showing any discomfort or other issues, then I wouldn't worry about it. Looks to be a healthy tail other than the very tip.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!