Feeding sand boas - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-19-2008, 09:57 PM   #1
Hypancistrus
Feeding sand boas

I tried to get my new KSB to eat a pinky today and he refused. I am not worried, because he ate a week ago Friday (he had a bulge when I bought him) but I am wondering if they need to eat underneath something? I put him in a bin and put the F/T pink in and wriggled it. The man I bought him from said he's been eating mostly live, but has take F/T twice, when they are wriggled with forceps.

So is feeding KSB's the same as feeding corns and kings? Or do I need to put him under a paper towel or something? Tips will be appreciated... I am going to try a small live pink this week.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:00 AM   #2
John E Dove
Just wondering how this worked out for you.
A couple of years ago I purchased a little male. The fellow I purchased him from got him WC import as a female and he had never eaten in 3 months. I had him for 6 months before I stumbled across a way to get him to eat.
I put him in a deli half filled with play sand (I know play sand Bad) added a live couple days old rat pink and covered the container with a towel. The next morning the pink was gone.
Viola!!!! You would not believe how happy I was that he had eaten. After about 6 months of feeding live I followed the same process but used a frozen thawed and warmed.
Bingo, he ate the FT&W.
Now he eats FT&W in a deli without the sand but still must be covered or he will not eat and he must be left undisturbed.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:57 PM   #3
Hypancistrus
Well my guy took live in a paperbag, no issues whatsoever. Took it within 5 minutes of me putting him in the bag.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:50 PM   #4
Otter_23
Almost all of my babies take live pretty readily. I have them in aspen and if left alone they do fine. Getting them to switch to f/t is a little more difficult.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:16 PM   #5
Hypancistrus
Any tips for changing them over? I am not fond of feeding live, but if I have to, I have to.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:58 PM   #6
Otter_23
What worked for me was get them feeding regularly on live and then I warm up a appropriate sized pinkie/fuzzy so it is pretty warm. I look to see where or about where their head is and just dangle and dance the prey. If I can see their head I'll dance it right in front of them. They will either attack it or try to hide, I just keep trying that every week until they finally take it. Sometimes if they show interest but don't attack I will put them in a cup and then add the warm prey and cover them up so they are in complete darkness and leave them alone for at least a half hour.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:53 PM   #7
maria snakes.com
My male only eats every three months. No more or less.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!