Michigan state law issues - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > USA State Specific Issues

Notices

USA State Specific Issues Issues that are specific to a particular state, or subregion within a state, should be appended to the existing relevant thread. NEW threads cannot be created in this forum.

Old 03-01-2005, 08:25 PM   #21
sirenofthestorm
Thank YOU!!!!! finally someone else saw it. I feel like I've been running around like a chicken with its head cut off when I do some of this research for the legal issues.

Total lack of memory on my part, lol.

Old 03-03-2005, 12:09 AM   #22
jsrocket
Sec. 31. (1) Any species having the potential to spread

15 serious diseases or parasites, to cause serious physical harm, or

16 to otherwise endanger native wildlife, human life, livestock,

17 domestic animals, or property, as determined by the director,

18 shall not be imported into this state.

My Comments: If you read it carefully, this could apply to an elephant, a lamprey eel, a zebra mussel, a tiger, a venomous snake, or a beekeeper's hive of bees. What about vicious pitbulls? "as determined by the director" is the key phrase here. Basically it says that if you're doing anything they don't approve of, they have liscence to search your property.

This could easily be interpreted as a ban on "hots"

Old 05-02-2005, 07:03 PM   #23
John Apple
This could be interpreted as a ban on any animal, fish, herp or bird that you may have.
Hell what about the kid that has an ant farm with harvester ants in it, or what about little Timmy that got his new sea monkey bowl in the mail.

These laws are made to the benifit of the un-informed that have no ability to read a book or listen and understand with an even keel.

Old 05-06-2005, 11:59 AM   #24
John Apple
Also DO NOT I repeat DO NOT buy anything from anyone at the Michigan herp show on Wick rd in Taylor if they pull it out from under the table they have thier animals on. These people could be setting you up as informants for the authorities and you could get an unwelcome visitor at your home.
A few have been busted this way buying species thay should not be buying here in Michigan.
It seems the authorities have been setting up there and hopefully I can expose them in my little way

Old 03-20-2007, 12:38 AM   #25
tpalopoli
I live in Independence Township, Oakland County and there are no laws regarding ownership of hots that I can find. Waterford is right next door and they have local laws regarding constrictors, not sure about hots but I can guess.

I would love to be in contact with anyone around here that is into hots and reptiles in general...hit me up with an email or pm anytime.

Tom Palopoli

Old 06-17-2009, 03:19 PM   #26
derrabe
I am hoping someone can help me find a good site for reference for letters and information on how to change animal laws in my local city. Below is the listing for my city. When I called anonymously to the city clerk to ask on reptile laws the response was as long as your neighbors don't complain then we don't care. That neighbor complains thing bothers me, this is america and I am a well educated owner and don't want to have to worry about my neighbor getting upset about something and knowing i have snakes, gives them leverage.

Quote:
610.02 LIMITATIONS ON NUMBER AND TYPES PERMITTED; EXCEPTIONS.

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, no person shall keep or house any animal, except dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, domesticated rabbits, parrots, canaries, parakeets, cockatoos and other birds that are commonly kept as residential pets, provided, however, that no species of dogs or cats shall have as part of its lineage any animal that is or has been taken from the wild or that is feral in nature.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:07 AM   #27
thadmy
I was trying to find information about keeping Hots in Macomb County. Just moved here from Pennsylvania and need to find out if i'm allowed to keep my snakes or not.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:14 AM   #28
derrabe
I am not 100% on this but i think hots are currently allowed in michigan without a license but last i heard there may be a bill coming soon

http://www.bornfreeusa.org/b4a2_exot...ls_summary.php

This is macomb countys animal control regulations see 8.3
http://www.macombcountymi.gov/public...egs%202003.pdf

Old 04-22-2013, 06:04 AM   #29
Gaw76
So does anyone know about breeding and releasing for native reptiles? How do you get a license for it? What kind of license do you get?

Old 07-22-2014, 06:46 PM   #30
jebbewocky
I have some info I can share for Kent County when I get home.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!