Looking to build a outdoor enclosure. Here in MI. Need some advice - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 01-17-2005, 09:15 PM   #1
brwnctyguy
Red face Looking to build a outdoor enclosure. Here in MI. Need some advice

Can anyone help me out im looking to build a outdoor enclosure for my Greek and Sulcota tortoise. I live in Michigan so im wondering other than having a furnace installed is there a diffrent method of heating. Like propane would that be harmfull to teh tortoise? I also saw some heaters that are vent free for ones home that heats up tp 1000 square foot. So if theres anyone out there with some advice I would realy appreciate it.

Thanks

John salazar
Brown City, Michigan

Old 01-17-2005, 11:41 PM   #2
evansnakes
the most cost effective thing to use for ground based animals like tortoises would be radiant heating in the floor. stable temp, low cost, no gas or chemicals and you would be heating from the floor up not from the air.

Old 01-27-2005, 01:53 PM   #3
BrianCarner
i live in indiana and have done the same thing to my turdles with a outdoor enclosure i found that puting down a black concrete floor coverered with bedding the concrete will keep it warm and keep them from digging and messing with the seal onthe ground. the only thing else that will be a problem it the wierd weather we have up here in the north keep about three days ahead of the weatherjust in case
brian

Old 01-27-2005, 02:34 PM   #4
old guy
Another thought that we have done

Now I take it you don't mean EXPOSED out door enclosure.........we use the pig warmer blankets that is encased in hard plastic. They come in many sizes and are water proof. They also have the first so many feet of heavy duty electric cord encased in spiral metal to keep animals from biting through. They have them on line ( I'm sure ) and at farm supply stores. I,m using 2 at this time on my leos and spurs in a 8 foot by 6 foot enclosure. I think i posted a picture someplace on these some time ago. Mine are 4 foot by 16 inches wide and the cost was about $45 each but that was some time ago. I use a substrate over the blankets.

Old 01-27-2005, 11:21 PM   #5
brwnctyguy
Thanks to all 3 of your replies

Thank you guys for the replies. Im going to look further into this so I can have all the info I need. The winters here in Brown City MI. can be cold. I think I may build the enclosure in the spring and once I decide on whatto use I'll do a test run next winter to ensure a stable temp.

again thanks for all your input its greatley appreciated.

John
Brown City MI.
cody20069@yahoo.com

Old 01-28-2005, 05:58 AM   #6
DAND
I'm going to kind of combine Mike's and Brian's ideas together. There is a product called wonder board. It is a 3 foot by 5 foot by 1/2 inch concrete board. They use it for the backing in showers for tiling. If you use that for the flooring and place the pig blanket (kane heat mat) underneath the wonder board will expand your heated area.

Old 04-24-2005, 09:29 AM   #7
RobBierman
Here is the gate of the enclosure. We made this gate with metal bars and then we cut pieces of fence so they would fit in between the metal bars. Normally Sulcatas wont try to escape if they cant see through it. She also has a dog house to keep warm in the cold and cool in the heat.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!