Why is my boa Soaking in water bowl? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-24-2021, 12:44 PM   #1
denman
Why is my boa Soaking in water bowl?

My Hog Island boa cross is soaking in water bowl daily ...

Now, I have examined her and she is not shedding or preparing to shed, and I really don't know what a "mite" looks like to see if she has mites..
but, she has so much "speckling" in her pattern that I just don't know...

Is there any sure way to find out if she does infact have mites ?

Old 12-24-2021, 12:56 PM   #2
Randall Turner
If she has mites you should see some little black things in the water that look similar to large flecks of black pepper. You can rub her down with a damp paper towel and then examine it to see if you find any black moving bugs on the paper towel.

Not mite related she could be soaking if the temps are too warm to try and cool off.

Old 12-24-2021, 01:07 PM   #3
Socratic Monologue
Mites move. Mites sometimes come off and float in the water. I've only dealt with mites once, a long time ago and I nuked them quickly, so I'm no expert.

She may be seeking moisture -- I don't know what sort of moisture content (humidity, substrate moistness) a B.c. should have, but if there's not enough in the enclosure the snake would seek it out.

The enclosure may be too hot and that's the coolest place. Watching her patterns of thermoregulation behavior is the best way to figure out what temps she wants.

She may be trying to hide. If she perceives the water bowl to be the best hiding spot, she'll take it. Make sure that there are a range of other hides (moister/dryer, warmer/cooler, bigger/smaller) and she'll show you what she wants by choosing her favorite.

Another thing I don't know about B.c. is whether it is easy to tell if they're about to shed. I have a hard time telling whether rosy boas are opaque, but other species are really easy. Keeping a log of when she sheds can be helpful -- just look back at the dates and see whether she's due for a shed. This is helpful for telling whether worrying about a food refusal is warranted, too.

Old 12-24-2021, 01:23 PM   #4
denman
To be safe, I am going to soak her as if she had mites. It's really the only way to be sure. Take everything out of her tank, clean and disinfect the tank, And REPEAT for 2 Days. I think it's safer this way.

Old 12-24-2021, 05:46 PM   #5
Zincubus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Turner View Post
If she has mites you should see some little black things in the water that look similar to large flecks of black pepper. You can rub her down with a damp paper towel and then examine it to see if you find any black moving bugs on the paper towel.

Not mite related she could be soaking if the temps are too warm to try and cool off.

^This ^

If you find any black specs on the white paper towel you just crush one or two with the back of a teaspoon and if it bleeds it’s a mite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 12-24-2021, 06:19 PM   #6
denman
I soaked her for an hour in Betadine solution. No specs in the water and no specs on the paper towel . Better safe than sorry. The specs are all part of her natural pattern.

Old 12-24-2021, 07:17 PM   #7
Zincubus
Quote:
Originally Posted by denman View Post
I soaked her for an hour in Betadine solution. No specs in the water and no specs on the paper towel . Better safe than sorry. The specs are all part of her natural pattern.

Sounds like it’s going into shed mode or it’s maybe too warm ?

I’d check the warm side surface temps ..ideally using a temp gun

Old 12-24-2021, 07:25 PM   #8
denman
The warm side is 82.

Old 12-25-2021, 07:10 PM   #9
richardhind1972
Some boas just like a soak in the bath

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk

Old 12-25-2021, 07:42 PM   #10
Zincubus
Quote:
Originally Posted by denman View Post
The warm side is 82.

Any idea what the surface hot spot temp is ??

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!