Aggression and breeding females - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-22-2006, 02:28 AM   #1
varnyard
Aggression and breeding females

I wanted to give some information on aggression of female tegus. I am new to the breeding of tegus, but it has been trial and error on this. I am ever learning on the habits of the Argentine tegus. I bred two females this year. As most of you know they had a combined clutch of 63 eggs. I knew about the guarding habits of the females, as well as the aggression they show when they are guarding the nest. I removed them shortly after they laid, as to remove the eggs. I was told by Bert that they will attack and kill any other female that gets close to their nest. The females that laid were pulled away from the male as well, it is said that they will sometimes attack them too. So I had these females in their own enclosures for well over a month. All remains of any nests are long gone. I did not know they would need to be separated until August when it is time once again to hibernate. I put them back in one of my large enclosures with my males and new females. Well let me tell you, they are mean. They were fine at first, but fighting soon broke out. One hour after they were put back in with the others, they started the fighting. They attacked anything that moved. Males and females alike. I broke them up and once again put these two females in their own enclosures. I called Bert, I asked him what was going on? He told me that one in nine females would even guard the nest the following spring. I told him that they were put into a different enclosure than the one that was used for nesting. He said it did not matter, they were on guard regardless. He told me to wait until it is time for the hibernation to begin and let them go into the same hole. I am to watch the next spring for signs of aggression. He said he has over 60 enclosures just for females. I might need to build a few more, next year I will have four gravid females.

Old 06-22-2006, 02:00 PM   #2
Nero557
Wow, I would have never of guessed that even after you removed the eggs/nest that they would still be in the "guard" mode. You're lucky they didn't attack you, with your moving them around and what not. Thanks for the update, that's some pretty valuable information if someone is planning to breed tegus, I would like to, but I need to get my own home first (my parents won't give me much more room...) Thanks Bobby, I hope none of your animals were injured at all. -Art-

Old 06-25-2006, 02:08 AM   #3
varnyard
Thanks Art, they are just fine. A few got some scratches but nothing major.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!