general info please - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-27-2005, 05:36 PM   #1
ladyserpent7
Question general info please

i just want to know some general info. on cornsnakes. I saw them in the pet store and theyre so pretty. i usually deal with boas and pythons, and western hogs, but i dont really know much about cornsnakes. How big do they usually get? Are they an aggressive snake? What temp. do they live in? What size gallon do they need? Where are they originally from? What kind of substrate is good for them? How often do they eat, from babies to adults? Just some general info. THANKS!! :eatpointe

Old 06-27-2005, 08:52 PM   #2
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyserpent7
How big do they usually get?
Usually not much more than 5 feet.

Quote:
Are they an aggressive snake?
Like everything else there can be some more aggressive than others but as a rule corns are rather easy going and easy to handle.

Quote:
What temp. do they live in?
From 70-88, being 70 on the cool end and 88 on the warm side of the tank.

Quote:
What size gallon do they need?
A hatchling to a yearling could be housed in a ten gallon. An adult should have at least a 20 long.

Quote:
Where are they originally from?
They are located mostly in the south east.

Quote:
What kind of substrate is good for them?
I suggest using aspen or newspaper. Never use Cedar for any herps.

Quote:
How often do they eat, from babies to adults?
Babies can be fed once every five days. Once on fuzzies I'd go to once a week until eating adult mice then to every 10 days.

You can always go to http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php? (another of Rich's sites that deals specifically with corns). Kathy Love has two books out that are very helpful.

Old 06-28-2005, 11:16 AM   #3
ladyserpent7
hey, thanks a lot, i appreciate that. Ill look up the books too. Do you know their titles? Oh, one more question, how much humidity do they need?

Old 06-28-2005, 12:04 PM   #4
DAND
Her first book is titled; The Corn Snake Manual and the second; Corn Snakes The Comprehensive Owner's Guide.

They need a higher humidity being from the Southeast where it is more humid.

Old 06-28-2005, 02:11 PM   #5
ladyserpent7
Umm Do They Like To Climb Because If They Do Is A Taller Tank Better. Im Kinda Surprised That A Five Footer Needs Only A Twenty Gallon. My Western Hognose Is About As Long As From The Palm Of My Hand To My Elbow And Shes In A Twenty Long, And Im Thinking Of Getting Her A Bigger One When Shes Full Grown.

Old 06-28-2005, 02:15 PM   #6
ladyserpent7
Do Aspen Shaving Increase The Chance Of Mites, Cuz I Know Bark Does. Do Cornsnakes Like To Burrow? Sorry Im Asking So Many Questions, It Just Might Be A While Before I Have Time To Get The Books. Thanks A Lot.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!