Disappearing eggs!? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-13-2006, 10:13 PM   #1
bro paul
Disappearing eggs!?

I tried a new laybox medium (peat moss) in a few boxes the other day. Well, I went to collect eggs from a female that had obviously just laid. She piled all the medium up in one corner and she was noticeably thinner. I pulled her out and check her underside just to be sure she wasn't carrying any eggs...and she wasn't. So, I started digging through the peat moss looking for the eggs and they were NOT there! I have no idea what happened. There weren't any feeders in the tub that could've consumed the eggs. She had to huge eggs showing yesterday and now they're gone! I'm thinking maybe she'd absorbed them and went through all the motions of laying?

In 6 seasons of collecting eggs, I've never run into this. If anyone's ever had a similar situation, I'd like to hear about it.

Old 03-13-2006, 10:20 PM   #2
Golden Gate Geckos
Paul, is she alone in her enclosure? I have known a few incidences of geckos eating eggs.

Old 03-13-2006, 10:45 PM   #3
bro paul
She is alone. I thought about that, but I'd never heard of it. I'm 99.9 % sure she laid now that I've thought about it. Whenever I've had females absorb eggs, it's been obvious. I just kept digging through the lay box in disbelief. Hmmmm...

Old 03-14-2006, 12:33 AM   #4
brandy101010
did you search the entire enclosure? my female was diggning in her lay box for days before she layed her first egg and she ended up laying it in the corner od her tank. if you have not already i would check the hole cage. take everything out and you might find them.

Old 03-14-2006, 10:08 AM   #5
bro paul
Yeah...checked her enclosure good. She's on a breeding rack, so her enclosure consists of a laybox, a paper towel, and a calcium dish...not too many places to hide eggs!

Old 03-14-2006, 10:24 AM   #6
BalloonzForU
Did you check the incubator? Did you maybe take them out already when sleep walking or something? LOL

Old 03-14-2006, 10:31 AM   #7
bro paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalloonzForU
Did you check the incubator? Did you maybe take them out already when sleep walking or something? LOL
Who knows...maybe I'll find some eggs under my pillow! It was quite the "twilight zone" experience.

Old 03-14-2006, 11:13 AM   #8
AUBREY'S REPTILES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Gate Geckos
Paul, is she alone in her enclosure? I have known a few incidences of geckos eating eggs.
BUT, I think the REAL mystery is, do they like bacon with their eggs.......HHHMMMM J/K

But really, they could consume their own eggs...I didn't know that. Have you seen or know of someone who has seen this happen???? Just curious. Hope you find out what happened with them Paul

Old 03-14-2006, 11:53 AM   #9
nwheat
When my Bell, Elizabeth, was having trouble the vet thought she had started to develop eggs that were not resorbed or passed and then became infected. The plan was to give her antibiotics and perhaps she would pass them. She said they will then often eat the eggs, so I wouldn't necessarily know if she ever passed them. This was not in reference to shelled eggs, but since you didn't actually see the eggs, maybe there was something wrong & she recycled them.

Another thought - is her drawer reachable by your young helpers? A little treasure hunt would be hard to resist - think about how excited we get when we find eggs!

Old 03-14-2006, 12:40 PM   #10
BalloonzForU
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwheat

Another thought - is her drawer reachable by your young helpers? A little treasure hunt would be hard to resist - think about how excited we get when we find eggs!
Oh No! A practice Easter Egg Hunt.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!