Western hogs and Eastern hogs........... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-05-2005, 10:53 PM   #1
gmherps
Western hogs and Eastern hogs...........

are they genetically compatible? Will they readily breed with one another and produce live viable offspring? Please forgive my ignorance, but I want to get into this species and know little about them.

Old 10-13-2005, 10:30 PM   #2
Ross Payan - LA
They will not produce offspring, as far as I know none of the hogs interbreed.

Congrats on become interested in these great little snakes. I was heavily into ball pythons, but hogs (along with select leo projects) have completely become my interest. Hogs rule man.

Also... as a "newbie" in this "species" I'd recommend staying away from easterns. They tend to be difficult to keep.

Old 10-15-2005, 09:38 AM   #3
gmherps
Thanks Ross.
I also only see the Lucies and albinos in the westerns as well. That's where I'd like my projects to go towards. Higher end Hogs seem to be what ppl want.

Old 10-15-2005, 10:05 AM   #4
lbratcher4
Unhappy

good luck on the lucies, scroll down in the forum a ways back and look for post on Lucistic hogs and you will see why I say good luck.

Old 10-15-2005, 10:41 AM   #5
Ross Payan - LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbratcher4
good luck on the lucies, scroll down in the forum a ways back and look for post on Lucistic hogs and you will see why I say good luck.
We know the gene is out there, it will pop back up eventually. Some lucky kid breeding a couple of "normal" westerns is going to hatch out a white baby one of these days. Not too mention all of the other morphs that have still not been discovered, hell look at cornsnakes, we've got a long way to catch up.

Old 10-20-2005, 07:27 PM   #6
gmherps
We have a long way to go is right.

Old 10-23-2005, 04:21 PM   #7
lbratcher4
It doesn't matter if a lucie pops up again they can still claim it is origanally from the colorado blood line and take it unless they have proof that it was from an area that you can still legally take them from the wild. Even with proof you are going to probably have a very hard time conviencing them that it isn't from the colorado line. The guy that origanally produced the lucie messed it up for all of us.