Any experience keeping more than two dart frogs together? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 07-24-2004, 06:26 PM   #1
myrogirl
Any experience keeping more than two dart frogs together?

I am interested in getting into dart frogs, and I have read that certain types do well in groups, while others do not. Hoping to get some opinions on this. If I can only have a breeding pair together, that is fine. But is it possible to have a group of same sex animals together? Are there any species that mix well?

I understand its not always a good idea, and that is fine. I would be sure to provide a nice big setup if it is possible, so everyone had plenty of room.

So, anyone keep more than than two together, or different types together, and if so, what are they?

Thanks!

Old 09-06-2004, 11:08 AM   #2
llechler
Right now, I breed patricias, and those are only recommended to be kept in pairs, but I use to keep leucomelias (the orange and black frogs) and I use to keep 6 of them in a 50 gallon tank and they all did fine. I had 4 males and 2 females. I know the leus do well in groups and I've also had terriblis (the mint dart frogs) in groups of 4 and have done well also. And on a side note, if you are interested in leucs, www.blackjungle.com is having a sale on them right now, if you are interested in patricias, I am selling off a bunch of mine due to financial reasons...I have a breeding pair, sub-adult, and lots of tadpoles I am selling. Hope that helped.

Old 02-17-2005, 03:36 PM   #3
pleytes
If you are just getting into poison dart frogs I would recommend keeping them in a smaller tank first of all. I suggest giving them a minimal of 5 gallons of heavily planted terrarium per frog. One of the most important things is to make sure that you witness every frog eat. Don't over feed but you have to be aware that if you are keeping two or more frogs in one tank, you might have a frog become aggressive towards another. Sometimes when a frog is bullied by another it becomes stressed out and all they do is hide and starve to death. I would try to get a pair of something hardy and more available like Luecomelas, Auratus, Maybe Azureus but adult females in the Tinc family do tend to be aggressive towards one another. If you need help with anything dart frog related join frognet on yahoo groups. Good luck and welcome to a new addiction. ~Ron

Old 03-07-2005, 06:20 PM   #4
joe1025
Placing more than one kind of pdf together in a tank is kind of looked down upon in the hobby, but if they are all one sex, all you would have to worry about is probably territorial disputes. Look on www.dendroboard.com for some great help. Its an entire forum devoted to dart frogs.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!