Mites!!!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-22-2007, 03:15 PM   #1
VxXDJXxV
Mites!!!!!

I have a 18in albino burm ive never had to deal with these bastards before. they came with the last bag of substrate i bought. When i went back to the store they told me to use olive oil to sufficate them but only a few are falling off at a time and he as alot to go. would it be better to go out a buy some store bought mite killer and can anyone suggest a specific brand, just keep using the olive oil, or does anyone else have any other tricks

thanks

Old 08-22-2007, 03:24 PM   #2
Mooing Tricycle
get reptile relief De Flea. The stuff works wonders. You use that on the reptile. But get a stronger type called Provent a mite to use on the enclosure.

Make sure you also take out all bedding, and throw it away. Wipe down the entire enclosure with the provent a mite and let it AIR DRY completely before placing the reptile back in. ( the stuff can cause lots of problems if you dont)

Use newspaper or paper towels as substrate and dont use any of the hides or other things in the tank. Throw out, or bake the wood objects * if you have any *

Old 08-22-2007, 03:45 PM   #3
KrisGarner
There was a post here or somewhere about using the Equate brand (Walmart) lice spray and shampoo for treatment. I use the aerosol bedding spray when setting up a new cage and let it dry completely before putting in a new snake. So far, no mite problem (knock on wood), even though I got a snake that had a couple on it.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:25 PM   #5
zachruby22
i used the equate bedding spray from walmart and the cvs brand bedding spray for mites they work quite well, same ingredient's and everyting, use it the same way you would use PAM.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:11 PM   #6
constrictorcrazi74
I USED PREVENT A MITE ON MITES BUT MAKE SURE YOU READ THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THERE IF YOU DONT USE IT RIGHT U COULD KILL THE SNAKE

Old 08-22-2007, 11:12 PM   #7
constrictorcrazi74
OPPPS DIDNT SEE ALICIAS POST LOL YOU JUST LISTEN TO WHAT SHE SAID AND THEY SHOULD BE GONE

Old 08-23-2007, 12:49 AM   #8
RJK890
Treatment

I used to use the Equate bedding spray on the cage and PVC accessories(preventative maintenance), but was scared out of it by a thread on here. I was told to go to the hardware/feed store and buy a bottle of 10% permethrin and mix one capful per gallon of water instead.
I spray Reptile Relief directly on all of my reptiles once per month just as(preventative maintenance). I like the fact that it all natural and is not a chemical.
I break down all cages every two weeks and clean with the permethrin mixture, rinse, clean with 5% bleach mixture, and rinse(thoroughly) again. I am not an expert on this subject but I have never had a single Mite problem outside of my quarantine room, from newcomers.
I would also recommend freezing all bags of bedding as soon as purchased. If you don't have a freezer big enough for the whole bag, store it in a separate location than your reptiles and freeze smaller bags(plastic Wal-Mart bags) as needed.
Please be very careful what you use directly on your animals. You may cause illness or death to your pet now, or wind up throwing slugs later on.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:30 PM   #9
VxXDJXxV
thanks for everyone help. ive been using the head lice remedy suggested by Loungelizard and he is currently lice free thanks so much

Old 09-21-2007, 11:18 PM   #10
norcal
hearts 2 in 1 powder for cats works The best! That is what all the reptile shops have in thier back rooms

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!