Best Reptile Incubators - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 11-25-2007, 01:17 PM   #11
Clay Davenport
I really don't want to take away from any of the commercial incubator manufacturers' business, but the fact is I cannot in any way justify the price tag on any I've seen available.
Coolers make fine incubators as do the converted fridge type like my design that Sammy so kindly linked to.

For a fraction of the cost you can make an incubator several times the size of anything available. I have a 21 cubic foot upright freezer converted that I have a total of maybe $90 in, and that includes $75 for a Ranco thermostat.

I'm sure several of the commercial incubators are fine products and do an excellent job of incubating eggs, but the fact is the incubation process is the easiest part of breeding reptiles. Eggs need two things to hatch, heat and moisture. It makes no difference at all how they are provided, as long as they are provided in the proper amounts.

I honestly don't forsee any commercial incubator ever being available that will be worth the price considering how cheaply one can be made yourself.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:00 PM   #12
Golden Gate Geckos
Nature's Spirit!!!

Old 11-25-2007, 02:09 PM   #13
Clay Davenport
In hindsight, I wanted to make a clarification. The page Sammy linked to is not "my design" as I stated, it is merely a page documenting my conversion of a freezer into an incubator. The original idea was not mine, but one that I read about years ago in an issue of Vivarium magazine.
I don't remember the original author's name, but didn't want it to sound as if I was taking credit for something that I did not actually come up with myself. I merely improved on another's work, and have since improved on that further.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:27 PM   #14
SPJ
That is just awesome.
Makes my little hovabator look like a toy.
Clay has come great stuff on his site.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:01 PM   #15
Serafim
i think building one from an old refrigerator or freezer is the way I am going to go for now. I thank everyone so far for all the good ideas..

Old 12-01-2007, 01:38 AM   #16
critical bill
10 years ago I got into a jam with a lot of turtle eggs and needed to build some incubators in a hurry...so I bought some large Styrofoam coolers and used 40 watt blue light bulbs with porcelain fixtures on the styro lids and had them wired to ranco therms and they worked just fine. I hatched about 200-300 eggs this way. Even kept a few around in case of emergency. Wish I had a pic to show you guys, they were safely designed, cheap as hell to build, and they worked like a friggin charm.

Good luck John, I'm sure you'll build something nice and effective.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:22 PM   #17
mister
Just wanted to thank you for your post on converting a fridge , will let ya know on results God Bless!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!