HerpHelper Tracking Software - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

View Poll Results: Have you seen the HerpHelper ad and tried the software?
Yes, I saw the ad and tried it. 30 30.30%
Yes, I saw the ad, but I didn't try the software. 24 24.24%
No, I did not see the add and I have no idea what you are talking about. 45 45.45%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-31-2004, 12:34 PM   #21
Cruciform
I didn't say he was obligated to provide a static key, in case any of you interpreted that way.

I said that as a matter of convenience I would be willing to pay a *premium* for a static key.

From having seen the application a lot this weekend (seeing how it runs in my multi-user XP setup) it's obvious that as a product it's worth a heck of a lot more than the 13 dollars which he charges.

Once I'm done going through the wallet-gutting experience that comes with purchasing a first home, I'll be registering

Old 05-31-2004, 02:54 PM   #22
Damon Theis
Downloads are back up.
Mike, thanks for all the help with troubleshooting the xp environment. Turns out I have some pc issues of my own that I am still working on. The result was serveral corrupt installs, zips, ect.
I have posted an update on the site.
Trial period has been extended to 50 times/ 15 days.
Registered users will be provided a version that is not single pc dependant on licensing and will be given a miltiple pc license discount. $13 for the first copy, $7 for each additional copy.

-Damon Theis

Old 05-31-2004, 03:17 PM   #23
Salmissra
WOW!

Thanks Damon!

You'll be getting my order just as soon as I dig out the credit card!

Hopefully I can talk the boss at work into getting it for me. I mean I just can't take as good care of the animals with out it...right?!

Old 05-31-2004, 05:58 PM   #24
JungleHabitats
tracking software

i use to use Hungry Herps software but as i think clay stated it was somewhat timeconsuming to enter everything one at a time and it had some glitches in it which would cause me to loose it ALL i didnt carefor that at all lol i think ill check it out and see what gives .

Old 05-31-2004, 06:02 PM   #25
Damon Theis
Looking forward to your input Alan. One of the reasons I wrote this software was becuase I tried everything out there and was dissatisfied with it all.
-Damon Theis

Old 05-31-2004, 07:29 PM   #26
Clay Davenport
I have been using Excel spreadsheets for years to keep my records. They have served me well but can get cumbersome when used certain ways. I tried a couple of times to write an access program to do it, but just didn't have the patience to finish it.
Each snake has it's own excel file. Page one is for the specimen record, which contains origin data and all other such non changing information the equivalent of the "general" and "geneaology" tabs in HH.
Each page after that is for one year of maintenance records. Each new year starts a new page.

I too have tried every record keeping software that has become available but haven't been satisfied as of yet. Herp Helper does come very close though, and I am considering implementing it for at least certain parts of my collection to begin with.

I agree that it would be perfect to be able to append the same activity entry to multiple records at the same time. If I'm feeding 20 hatchlings that I have held back, and all are getting the same meal on the same day, it would be great to be able to select all the entries I want that activity added to rather than having to enter the same data 20 seperate times.

One feature I have added to my spread sheets is a totalizer for prey items eaten for the year. Each record keeps a running total of how many rodents a given snake has eaten for that year.
I like data, and this is an interesting number to look at at the end of the year.
I'd be interested in a totaling feature for each specimen and one for the entire collection. It's neat to know how many rodents you have used total for a given year.

Another thing I do in my spread sheets is color code certain entries. Any breeding related event is red. I also weigh alot of the snakes I am raising monthly, and the weights are in blue. This makes it easy to retrieve this information with a quick scan of the page.

One final thing that comes to mind right now is the feed activity. I use letters to denote actions. In my feeding column, an A means the snake ate, and an X means it refused. I would like to see refused meal elevated to an activity of it's own rather than just a check box.
This is just something I'm used to, others may prefer it the way it is. I find it easier to scan the list for activities calles "refused meal" rather than to click on an activity to see which boxes are checked.

It's a great program though, and way ahead of any of the other similar applications that have been developed in the past.

Old 05-31-2004, 07:57 PM   #27
Damon Theis
Clay, Thanks for the input. I have a "batch feed" high on the list.
Good Idea on the color coding as well. I will see what I can do.
BTW, Thanks for teaching me how to wire flex. Your site is great.
Damon Theis

Old 06-02-2004, 07:10 PM   #28
Damon Theis
This one's for you Clay

Here's the key:

Turn on/off color coding in the setup screen.

Breeding activities are maroon with silver text.

Feeds that were refused or regurged are red with yellow bold text.

Measurements are white with blue bold text.

Opaque is sliver with blue text.

Shed is blue with silver text.

Medications are lime with black bold text.

Old 06-03-2004, 12:08 AM   #29
Clay Davenport
That's an excellent feature. The breeding and refused meals changes will be especially useful for me.
One more step toward the ideal record keeping software.
Any way you can make this program clean the cages for me?

Old 06-04-2004, 10:32 AM   #30
redtailboas
Well another Clay has to agree

I purchased my copy and really like what I see so far, and Damon has answered every question PRONTO.

Of course I am anxious for the batch feeding feature, but wanted to get with the program first and help with testing if I am needed...

Thanks Damon

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!