PIA little Liasis - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-01-2006, 01:29 AM   #1
hhmoore
PIA little Liasis

Don't get me wrong, I am very fond of the snakes of this genus that I work with...but it seems that as babies, they have a tendency to tick me off at feeding time, lol. The only species of this group I have kept as babies are D'Alberts (white lipped) and Savus...the former in greater quantity, and for longer periods of time. In my experience, the babies strike without consideration for where the prey actually is - which is to say that they miss alot. When they do manage to get it, they will release it at the drop of a hat...or any other movement. That wouldn't be a big deal if they just went back and ate it once they felt secure again; but for whatever reason, once they are distracted, they leave it. Luckily, they will strike at it again as soon as you pick it up. Some get over this jumpiness after just a few feedings...others persist in this manner for months. Yeah - I'm just venting because I have been going through this with one of my 05 Savus. The others are all serious about their food, and don't drop it in response to normal movement; but this little guy is just awful. He is actually just getting back into this, as he took his first few meals with gusto (a touch underfed, perhaps?), but I've been getting really frustrated. I dropped him back just a smidge in prey size, and he did a bit better - only dropped it twice before he ate it

Old 06-01-2006, 01:00 PM   #2
ldydrgn
Harald, d'Albert's haven't been Liasis for a while now. They are Leiopython

Our adult Savus and d'Albert's behave in the way you describe once in a while, lol. Fun fun

So far the most difficult babies I have worked with were Morelia s. variegata. But then we haven't produced a wide variety of animals yet.

Old 06-01-2006, 04:05 PM   #3
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldydrgn
Harald, d'Albert's haven't been Liasis for a while now. They are Leiopython
Yeah, I keep forgetting that, lol. (I'm old and set in my ways) But at least my rant was pointed directly at Savus, which are.
Thanks for the reminder, though

Old 06-01-2006, 11:45 PM   #4
ldydrgn
Savus are neat little pythons, but yes... they can be annoying at times with their strange habits. LOL

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!