Cooks Tree Broa Constantly Shedding. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-13-2006, 03:04 PM   #1
Angyl
Cooks Tree Broa Constantly Shedding.

At the local pet stores they have several tree boas in way to small enclosuers with constant shedding issues. They can't sell them because they're highly aggressive and bite, so no one wants them and they've been shedding since arrival. I'm thinking of rescuing them! I held one and I found him to be a sweetheart. I have a question. This shedding issue I think is because of wrong humidity levels ( they dont mist them or anything ) and general stress. Any other issues it may possibly be? Before I drop like 80 bucks on each of them. . . They need saved. :/

Old 11-13-2006, 03:18 PM   #2
ravensgait
I take it your referring to Amazon Tree Boas. If they have Cooks let me know I want them ,, People often call ATBs Cooks ..

Anyway young animals shed often and adults will when they are injured , they shed more often as the wound or cut heals. If they are packed in a small cage they could be getting rubs ETC that would cause them to shed more than usual.. You didn't mention if they were colored ATBs so I assume that they are garden phase and 80 bucks is a little high for a garden and low for a decent one with color.
They can be little devils that's for sure Randy

Old 11-13-2006, 04:14 PM   #3
hhmoore
I just want to clarify - shedding constantly and constant shedding issues have different meanings to me & I am not totally sure which you meant.

Old 11-13-2006, 04:51 PM   #4
ladywhipple02
Can I ask what store this is in Ohio? If it's Captive Born Reptiles, please don't support them. The conditions their animals live in are horrible. I know you want to save those little kids, but it would only be encouraging the owner to buy more and not take care of the new ones.

And, if it IS Captive Born, they are definately NOT Cook's. They are Amazon Tree Boas.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:15 PM   #5
Angyl
I bought both of them. Manager gave me a great discount because they're so aggressive, they didn't bite me tho, heh -- bit him! But they seem to love me. I got a male and a female, I soaked them in warm water and most shedding is fine. They had issues due to humidity I believe because they couldn't keep tanks humid enough. They're looking good. I'll provide pictures of them in their new enclosure in a bit. I want to let them settle before I go snap picture happy. They're beautiful I must say. They have been rescued from Pet Supplies Plus. ;P I know I shouldn't support pet stores and I usually buy straight from reptutable breeders but I felt horrible for them and felt I needed to get them out of there. They're a bit underfed but that should clear up soon enough. I know its horrid to support, but the manager of the snakes whom is a friend of mine said they will not carry them anymore, and he didn't order them. . I believe him. He's a good guy, and has been great with herp help over the years. We yapped for a few minutes about his rattlers, they finy gave him some babies. Pics in about hour or two. <3

Old 11-13-2006, 05:17 PM   #6
DAND
Could be something like retained eye caps or mites causing the shedding issues.

Old 11-13-2006, 07:14 PM   #7
Angyl
Ok. When I got them they were in a state of constant shed. Like for three months in the store. So first pics will be of them as they came home from pet store, then soaking them in bathtub to get the bad shed off, and then after still shedding but a lot better. The big ones the female, the smalls the male. I haven't decided on names yet. I might call the male Nipper.

Straight from pet store, the poor babies.

Old 11-13-2006, 07:14 PM   #8
Angyl
Now it's time for a bath! They loved it, all agression went bye bye, it had to have felt really good. Bathrooms being remodelled excuse the mess.

See all the shedded skin everywhere? lol

Old 11-13-2006, 07:15 PM   #9
Angyl
Paul holding the girl

SHEDDINGS ERRWHERE! xD

Old 11-13-2006, 07:15 PM   #10
Angyl

I'm holding the male because hes more agrressive, paul with female

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!