chameleon question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-30-2009, 01:40 AM   #1
kgoda5
chameleon question

hi i have a question about a veiled chameleons, my friend has a chameleon that is a baby and he has it used to drinking out of a regular water dish. but in every book and and care sheet i have read says that you are suppose to have a dripper. i have an 8mth old that drinks from a dripper, he is my 1st cham. i just want to know if it is bad for them? can the water dish have more bacteria in it ?

Old 07-30-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
Dave W.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoda5 View Post
...i just want to know if it is bad for them?...
Howdy Kerri,

Generally speaking, chameleons and water bowls don't mix. As you probably already know, their natural method of water consumption in the wild revolves around drinking water droplets from either rain, or dew drops collecting in the morning. Most keepers will supply water either by hand misting, automated misting, and/or dripper(s). Some chameleons have a tendency to poop in water dishes, almost as if they were aiming for it from high above . With all of that said, water dishes are "out" and other methods are "in". Misting also offers the advantage of increased humidity which can be very beneficial in maintaining a chameleon's hydration.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
Digby Rigby
Water dishes

Water dishes generally arent used because the chameleons dont recognize standing water as a rule. However if the chameleon is drinking out of a dish then its good. Usually people using dishes however also have an air stone in the water dish

Digby Rigby balboa28279@mypacks.net

Old 07-31-2009, 12:21 AM   #4
kgoda5
we have been telling him to avoid it but he wont listen and i wanted to get a secondary opinion so he would change it, but if i change it will it stress him out because he wont be used to it . he is only about 4mth old and, i have him at my house for the next 10 days while my friend is camping, here is a pic

Old 07-31-2009, 10:52 PM   #5
LauraB
Mist him heavily several times a day ... think rain, not just mist. Sometimes you have to mist several minutes before the drink instinct kicks in (especially if he is used to a water bowl)
It really is not a good idea, nor is it normal behavior for a cham to drink from a water bowl. If he does so, it's probably out of necessity and because he is NOT getting proper hydration from misting or a dripper.

Chams also have been known to defecate in water bowls, fountains, etc inside their cages. Obviously that can't be healthy.

If you're caring for him for the next 9-10 days, you may be able to convert him to drip-drinking if you are dilligent Heck, give him a dripper AND regular good, heavy misting.
It sure would be better for the cham and then your friend might get a clue!

Good luck ... he's a nice looking cham.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:10 AM   #6
kgoda5
i put a dripper on his cage and it took about two days before he was used to it at first he just sat there and watched the water drip i think he likes it alot better as for my friend he took him home a few days ago and i dont think he is following through with it which makes me very angry.he actually said he would rather trade him for something else if i didnt have a male already i would keep him i am looking for a female so i can start breeding. i might get her from lostlakechameleons.com but i have heard any info on these guys anyone know if they got good chams from first hand experience ? thanks for all your replies

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!