Help iguana has bulge on jaw - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 11-28-2019, 01:14 AM   #1
Jfunk
Exclamation Help iguana has bulge on jaw

Hi my black chested Honduran female has been put into separate cage from male due tue him being overly aggressive when mating and broke the females right arm it's been about 3 weeks since the arm was broken I tried setting the bone with splint shes not walking on it but now I've noticed a huge lump on he left lower jaw and she has been very lethargic and has lost most off her appetite it also look like it's somewhat uncomfortable for her to bite into food any advice or ideas on what this is or how I can treat it unfortunately I cannot afford to go to the vet and my local reptile shops cant take her and also dont know what to do for her
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2019, 08:15 AM   #2
Socratic Monologue
Broken bones and lumps sounds a lot like MBD. A qualified exotics vet can diagnose this. You can find a qualified herp vet here:

https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

This may sound harsh, but having sufficient funds for care -- including vet visits -- is a prerequisite for responsible animal ownership. Find the funds for a vet visit, and set up an account for ongoing costs, or do not keep animals.

Old 11-28-2019, 08:32 AM   #3
bcr229
Sell the male and use the money for a vet visit for the female.

Old 11-28-2019, 08:37 AM   #4
Insomniac101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
This may sound harsh, but having sufficient funds for care -- including vet visits -- is a prerequisite for responsible animal ownership. Find the funds for a vet visit, and set up an account for ongoing costs, or do not keep animals.
This!

If you don't have funds for care, and a pet store won't take her, what are your plans for her now? She needed to see a vet three weeks ago, and has been suffering a bone fracture.

This is more harsh than John's correct statement, but if you can't afford vet care, and no one will take her, perhaps humane euthanasia is the kindest thing you can do for her at this point.

Old 11-28-2019, 09:01 AM   #5
Lucille
I like Melinda's idea of selling the male and using the funds to treat the female. I would sell her also once her condition improves because she may have future vet needs and she needs to live with someone who can afford to take care of her. Some of the spiny tail iguana species have become endangered because of shrinking habitats.

Old 11-30-2019, 05:08 PM   #6
Jfunk
Thank you for your help I've decided to sell the male and take the female to the vet

Old 11-30-2019, 10:48 PM   #7
Insomniac101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfunk View Post
Thank you for your help I've decided to sell the male and take the female to the vet
Wise choice, if you can sell him in a timely manner. Please follow up here, when you get her to a vet.

Old 11-30-2019, 11:23 PM   #8
Jfunk
I've just sold the male earlier today to a local reptile store and I have a vet appointment for monday

Old 12-04-2019, 11:21 PM   #9
Insomniac101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfunk View Post
I've just sold the male earlier today to a local reptile store and I have a vet appointment for monday
How did the vet appointment go?

Old 12-04-2019, 11:30 PM   #10
Jfunk
The vet said that it is an abscess from a bite from the male she was able to cut it open and clean it out on monday she also said that she'll make a full recovery and once she is fully healed my local reptile shop said they would take her I dont know if I'll be able to take her to the vet again so I figured that would be best for her

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
disease, health, iguana, infection