Chinese sellers on Ebay - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 10-01-2020, 12:12 PM   #11
WebSlave
Well the rag bag lathe is supposed to be picked up tomorrow. Connie will be glad to finally get that out of her truck. And I'll sure be glad to have this headache behind me.

Now that my appetite has been whetted for a lathe, though, heck, what am I going to do?

Old 10-08-2020, 11:52 PM   #12
WebSlave
My credit card company has received a "pending" refund of the total amount from Ebay. I'm not sure if this was voluntary from the seller or not. Ebay has stated that they "found in my favor" on the claim I made.

What a waste of time and pain in the butt THAT was!

Old 11-05-2020, 08:00 PM   #13
WebSlave
Got my money back from Ebay for the above mentioned ragbag lathe. Glad that is over with. Quite literally EVERYTHING I looked at on that lathe had a problem with it. I am firmly convinced that the "manufacturer" had a room full of parts that failed inspection, and they decided to just throw together a bunch of machines using those defective parts, hoping they could get away with it.

Not with my dimes. I don't expect perfection, but I do expect a reasonable amount of quality for my money.

Anyway, I found another lathe, but it is much bigger and much heavier than that Ebay one. More expensive too. But I've gotten my appetite whetted for a bigger lathe than what I had, and there was no stopping me now.

Bought a work table for it, covered the wood top with galvanized steel sheeting, and surrounded the edges with aluminum angle stock. Supposed to be able to handle 2,000 lbs, so this 500 lb lathe should be a piece of cake for it. Picked the new lathe up from the same UPS freight driver who delivered the first one, and also picked up the return. Then brought it home in Connie's pickup truck. So last week we installed the lathe onto the work table and I have been looking it over with a real jaundiced eye. It is still a Chinese made lathe, but at least it looks like it went through a pretty decent quality control inspection. Yeah, there are couple of things I need to have addressed concerning it, but all in all it seems to be a pretty accurate and solid piece of machinery.

Yesterday Connie and I picked up four (4) small tool chests from Home Depot (curbside service, of course), two of which went under the new lathe work table, and the other two underneath the existing work table in the garage. Turned out looking pretty nice. I had to figure out how to get those tool chests to fit underneath those tables, and yet be able to move them in place without gouging the heck out of my floor. Found these large ball bearing rollers that seem to be ideal for the job. The wheels that came with the tool chests would have made them just way too tall to fit underneath the tables.

Anyway, still haven't USED the lathe, but at least I think I have something worth keeping and will likely do whatever I need concerning using a lathe. Now I just have to fill up those tool chests with some tooling and maybe make some room in my existing cabinets that I have stuffed to the gills. Seems you can never have enough storage space if you are a dyed in the wool tool-a-holic.
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2020, 09:24 PM   #14
Randall Turner
Looks like a good setup to play with. Sorry that the turd in lathe form was a hassle and time waster.

Old 12-24-2020, 03:08 PM   #15
WebSlave
Did a mod on the lathe recently. Needed to add more light so I could better see what the heck I was doing. Found what looked like the perfect solution, so when it came in I installed it immediately.

Seems to do the job.

So I actually got to make some steel chips with the lathe over the past few days. Used it to make a mod for the milling machine. The handle on the side of the head is a real pain to use when lowering or (especially) raising the head of the machine to the height I need. So I pulled off the funky crank handle, and made a sleeve out of some hexagonal steel stock I have to go over the shaft that would take a 1 inch socket that I could use a battery powered wrench with. I needed the lathe to drill a 17mm hole into that steel sleeve. And then used the mill to drill holes and tap for set screws to hold the sleeve in place.

This makes it a LOT easier. I may think on somehow attaching the battery powered wrench more securely, kind of semi-permanent. Of if I figure out some sort of switchable motor to be mounted right on the head.

I bought some steady rest and follower rest bearing "fingers" for the lathe that were designed to be used on a larger Bridgeport lathe. The measurements were not too far off from what I needed, so I bought them thinking I could use the mill to cut them down to what I needed. The height, thickness, and the width of the slot in the middle of each finger all needed to be machined to the size I needed. And I had to drill a hole in the end of each finger too. Thinking I would need some more precision than that funky mechanical indicator that came on the mill, I installed a DRO (digital read out) on the spindle travel. That actually went a LOT better than I thought it would.

Of course, I had to clean off the mill, as well as clean up the work room to even get to it before I could start anything. And had to oil up all the sliding surfaces too. Then a thought hit me. There is heavy weight oil in the head for the spindle gears, and I got to wondering how OLD that oil was? Well, I got the milling machine in 2001, so yeah, about time to change it out, I figured.

All that just to be able to START working on those steady rest fingers.....

But they fit the slots in the steady rest and follow rest just fine, and seem to line up pretty well. So I guess all the work was worth while. Not much else to do with the COVID stuff around anyway. Maybe I'll even find a reason to USE them one of these days.

I sure do like that DRO on the mill head. Kind of wish now that I had purchased the lathe with the DRO option. I guess I can always install a kit myself. The place I bought the lathe from charges a few hundred bucks to install a kit. Maybe when I have some extra Social Security $$ burning a hole in my pocket. Anyway, perhaps even put DROs on the X and Y planes of the mill too, while I am at it. I don't think I will really need that much precision all that often, but heck, the displays look cool and high techish, so what the heck.

OK, so now I have these hammers, and I am looking around for nails to pound.

Oh yeah, I cleaned off my old radial saw while I was at it. All with Connie's help, of course. Been meaning to cut a board to put in the garage somewhere that I can mount off of these battery chargers I now have for different brands of tools. They are really getting out of hand, now. And I have been putting off for years mounting exhaust fans on the vents of the garage for those hot summer days when it gets over 100 degrees in there.

Maybe I am biting off more than I really want to chew?

Old 12-24-2020, 05:11 PM   #16
Lucille
If you give a mouse a cookie....

Old 12-24-2020, 05:48 PM   #17
WebSlave
Not sure what that means, Lucille, but the old brain ain't what it used to be.

But we have LOTS of Christmas cookies around here if needed.

Speaking of mice, got a darn rat (more than one still on the loose?) chewing off branches on some of our citrus trees and dragging them underneath the shed. Caught one in the game camera I set out there a few days ago, expecting I would see deer nibbling on the trees.

Caught one overnight in the live trap "and I am using the word "live" loosely as no way that sucker was remaining in this life. Turned him into fertilizer for one of the pear trees.

Raining all day today, so I'll have to put the trap out again tomorrow. Kind of hate to kill anything on Christmas, but between the squirrels suddenly taking a liking to citrus fruits this year, and what the rats are doing, well, I guess I won't lose any sleep over it.

Actually, live traps are rather useless in Florida. You cannot release the wildlife on public property, and not on private property neither without written consent of the property owner. So what are your options after you catch something in that live trap? Yeah, not many...

Old 12-24-2020, 06:34 PM   #18
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Not sure what that means
The lathe adventure, even though there was a 'hiccup' has seemingly set off a cascade effect. You're back there doing stuff with the lathe, and it sounds like you cleaned off your radial saw, and it sounds like that will lead to battery charger shelves and more.

There is a well known children's book that showed the cascade effect after the first action, which was giving a mouse a cookie. I thought of it when I read the cascade of action following the lathe which was finally installed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_You...Mouse_a_Cookie

Old 12-24-2020, 06:40 PM   #19
WebSlave
Ah, I guess I never saw that one. Thanks for the explanation. Now I need a cookie.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!