Questions concerning starting a Herp Society/Club in North Central FL - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:50 PM   #11
psychoprimate84
Yeah....would be sorta hard for me to drive all that way for meetings. Gainesville isn't too bad of a drive though.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:51 PM   #12
snakechaarmer
Hi all -

Okay, I got off my arse and made a flyer and also a website for people to easily submit information.

I distributed flyers to both stores in Gainesville, have e-mailed the file to a few others for distribution, and if you'd like the flyer e-mailed to you please PM me your e-mail address.

Thank you so much, hopefully we'll get something started soon!

Here's the website:

http://www.snakechaarmer.com/ncflherp/

Old 11-08-2010, 09:11 AM   #13
Nanci
Hey Leigh- I thought I'd check in here. I'm in Alachua, I'm interested! I'd love a Friday night meeting, if that's okay with everyone else. I get up at 5:00 on weekdays.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:43 AM   #14
snakechaarmer
Hi Nanci, I'm not sure when the meetings will be or if there will even be one - I can relate, I wake up at 430 am on weekdays!

Unless I get a little more commitment, I don't know that this will be worthwhile. So far, I have only a few people that I know for sure would be interested, and after posting all the flyers and stuff at stores, I've only gotten one e-mail from an interested college student.

The people I have listed so far, and please correct me if I'm wrong here, for potentially interested in the club:

Leigh Propper
Travis Smith
Jessica Wagers
Jeff Culp & Family
Wolfy-Hound
rcpreis3 (if he moves to the area).
chamgirl
Nanci
Ben Cole
Student that e-mailed from UF

and possibly Hogtown Reptile Store.

If any of you have the flyers and have put them up, I haven't received any emails or calls at all :/

Old 11-08-2010, 10:07 AM   #15
Nanci
I used to date a guy named Jeff Culp in HS! Up in MN. Wonder if it's the same person...He turned up at a job I was working at in Minneapolis like 20 years after we graduated.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:08 AM   #16
psychoprimate84
Hi Nanci! Nice to see you on here too!

Old 11-08-2010, 10:35 AM   #17
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoprimate84 View Post
Hi Nanci! Nice to see you on here too!
If I'm here, that means that there is a Perfect Storm of really slow day at work and really slow day at CS.com!!

Old 11-08-2010, 07:08 PM   #18
zn394
I'm the Jeff Leigh referred to, and nope - wasn't me . Never been to MN. But I sure hope we get some good interest. Maybe the ones that have shown interest so far would be a good start?

Old 01-20-2011, 01:30 PM   #19
snakechaarmer
Hey guys,

This is still nagging in the back of my mind, but I am kind of at a loss as to how to proceed at this point.

I haven't really heard from any of you about getting this started other than a "Yeah, I'm interested.".
I've made a website to send interested people to, to fill out a information form to be contacted about the club and meetings, and I've gotten ONE reply.

I have made 50+ flyers and taken them to the reptile stores in Gainesville, to which Pangea Pets apparently made a new rule after I took flyers to them where nothing can be hung on the windows or doors or walls which isn't store related, and Hoggtown Reptile Shop didn't hang any up at all, or at least I haven't seen any of them the 3 times I have been there since. I e-mailed them a copy of the flyer and they promised to print it out and hang it back up, but when I went by a few weeks later, it still wasn't hanging up in the store.. I think Jeff (zn394) put up a few flyers in feed stores in the area, but I haven't gotten a single call or e-mail or interest from anyone that isn't currently reading this thread.

So I am rather discouraged. I was really excited about the possibility of getting something together but it seems like I am being worked against and not worked with. I am still willing to try, but I can't do it all on my own and it honestly feels like the reptile community in this area wants to stay huddled in their own little private sectors, at least from what I have observed.

So I am at a loss. As I said, I'm still willing to try but don't know what else to do at this point. I guess the only thing I can say is you know if you guys ever wanna get together and hang out or go to a show or a movie night or something or just hang out, that could be fun too. I was just really hoping to rally everyone together and get something started.

Sorry to be so emo, I'm just disappointed

Old 10-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #20
01titan01
hi all i'm starting a reptile group for the gainesville FL and surrounding area for reptile keepers, enthusiasts,field herpers to come together and meet others in the hobby if your in the gainesville FL or surrounding area and interested in joining our reptile community here's our facebook group page http://www.facebook.com/groups/Gainesvillereptileclub/

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
herpers, herping