basic beardie questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-08-2006, 09:07 PM   #1
Chris Steele
Question basic beardie questions

Hey everyone! If someone would be kind enough to answer all of these questions separately for me I would be very grateful! I have some basic questions about beardies:

-I was told by a veterinarian that Beardies canNOT be kept in a rubbermaid container, but I thought they could, can they not?

-What is the minimal caging requirement for a single beardie?

-What is the best bedding for a young beardie? an adult beardie?

-Is a baby beardie supposed to have a hide? and adult?

-Do beardies have to be trained sometimes to drink out of a waterbowl (thats what i was told)?

Thanks so much!

Old 01-08-2006, 09:10 PM   #2
Chris Steele
One more question:

Are crickets from a local petstore or bait/tackle shop fine to feed?

Old 01-09-2006, 12:23 AM   #3
Clay Davenport
People have different ideas and opinions vary, these are just mine.

Quote:
-I was told by a veterinarian that Beardies canNOT be kept in a rubbermaid container, but I thought they could, can they not?
I suppose they could be, but I wouldn't myself. The general lack of suitable dimensions is one reason. Heat is another. I always used a basking spot around 120 degrees. This allows the potential for damage to the cage should the heat lamp get in the wrong position. Also they will be damaged by scratching.
I have used an open top cage, 4x2x2 made of wood with good success however. And I have used rubbermaid tubs as nesting boxes, I just wouldn't use them as actual cages.

Quote:
For me, I wouldn't keep an adult in anything smaller than a 3x2 cage. Some may consider this too small and I wouldn't really disagree, but I have used this size cage for single adults.
I don't like 55 gallon aquariums, which are often used. They have good length but are only 12 inches wide. I want more width than that for an adult.

Quote:
For fresh hatchlings, I never used any bedding. They were reared in a bare tank until they were a couple months old. The tank was cleaned every two days, but it made it easier for them to find the food and when I misted them they would actively drink from the pools that formed on the bottom.
For juveniles I like paper towels, but I always taped the edges with masking tape to prevent the insects from getting under them and hiding.
With the adults I used cypress mulch the most.

Quote:
I never used a hide for a beardie at any age. Inclined basking logs and some rocks were the extent of cage furnishings.

Quote:
-Do beardies have to be trained sometimes to drink out of a waterbowl (thats what i was told)?
In my experience a bearded would rarely if ever find standing water in a bowl on its own. I never made an effort to train them to use one, but I have heard of people doing that. I have had them come to a bowl as water was poured in it, being attracted by the falling water. However, the next day they never realized that water was still in the bowl.
I misted daily and 2-3 times a week I would remove them to a rubbermaid tub where I would soak them for 10 or 15 minutes and they would drink then standing in the water.
Generally I never had more than 5 adults at an given time, so with larger breeding groups this might not be practical.

Quote:
Are crickets from a local petstore or bait/tackle shop fine to feed?
Normally they are fine. Those places for the most part get their insects from the same commercial breeders we order from. However it's often not economical. Around here pet shops charge $1 a dozen. There's 88 dozen in a box of a thousand that you can order for $17 or so now.
There's also the option of setting up a roach colony and raising your own food at a very low cost.

Old 01-09-2006, 10:19 AM   #4
Cat_72
The only thing I'd add to Clay's post is that if you choose to buy your crickets from a pet shop or bait store, be sure they are eating a good quality gutload for at least 24 hours before you are ready to feed them. Pet stores and bait shops feed them very little, if at all, while they are in their posession.....just enough to keep them going until they are sold.

Old 01-09-2006, 02:45 PM   #5
Chris Steele
Thanks.

What is the benefit of feeding the crickets gutload before feeding them? To get some nutrients in them? Is it necissary?

Clay, in your wooden cage, did you use whiteboard or some type of lamenant?

Old 01-09-2006, 08:50 PM   #6
Clay Davenport
Actually I got to thinking about it and that 4x2x2 wasn't used with beardeds. The open top I used for them was bigger than that, it was either 4x3 or 5x3 I can't remember now. The floor was melamine and the walls plywood.
The 4x2x2 was used for dwarf monitors and had a plexiglass top, it wasn't open. The floor in it was HDPE.
I'm no longer using either of the cages, which is why I got confused.

I kept dragons for about 9 years, and in that time used many different cage setups. I was most pleased with the open top type and a 48" x 30" front opening enclosure.

Old 01-10-2006, 02:26 AM   #7
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Steele
Thanks.

What is the benefit of feeding the crickets gutload before feeding them? To get some nutrients in them? Is it necissary?

Well......think about it.....if those crickets have been in that shop for 2 weeks with nothing but perhaps a potato to get some moisture out of, how nutritious will they be for your Beardie? Besides the fact that they are probably lacking in "meatiness" (not that crickets are very "meaty" to begin with), the stomach contents of the cricket are utilized by the Beardie as well. At least if the crickets are on a good quality gutload for awhile before the Beardie eats them, they will be getting more out of each cricket than they would without it.

So...is it "necessary"? No........they can "get by" without it....but if you want a healthy Beardie, it's a darn good idea.

Old 01-10-2006, 02:28 PM   #8
Chris Steele
Makes sense, thanks.

Anyone coming by wants to add anything to the great answers I've gotten already, feel free.

Old 01-11-2006, 02:58 PM   #9
pogonadragon
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Steele
Hey everyone! If someone would be kind enough to answer all of these questions separately for me I would be very grateful! I have some basic questions about beardies:

Thanks so much!

1We kept our babies (hatchlings/juvies) in the clearest, largest rubbermaid we could find. Heat was never a problem. However, I don't know if there are any large enough for an adult.

2An adult needs to be in at least 50 gallons. However, I think even larger would be nice. And branches in the enclosure add extra space where they can climb...

3This is such a political question to some. Realistically, in Australia they are on packed, very hard sandy stuff. However, I prefer paper towel over anything. It's the EASIEST to keep clean. Inexpensive, and the safest substrate. Some argue for sand but some say it causes impaction. We used it. However, our crickets laid eggs in the enclosure and we had hundreds of pinhead crickets climbing around the sand, which meant we had to vacuum up about 10-20 pounds of sand to clean them out... what I'm saying is it's not worth the hassle.

4If you want you can give them one. They like to go under their paper towels and rocks so I'd say you would probably want to...

5Some just won't drink from a dish. Primarily, mist their veggies wish a spray bottle a couple times a day and also, mist the sides of the enclosure. Some of ours lap up the drops from the side and drink that way. But yeah, put a water dish in and keep it filled with clean water. Also, misting the beardie on the head will cause water to form on the head and trickle down the snout. They lick it up that way too...

Just my experience with my guys...

Old 01-11-2006, 03:47 PM   #10
Chris Steele
Quote:
Originally Posted by pogonadragon
However, I don't know if there are any large enough for an adult.
Christmas Tree Rubbermaids are huge, I was thinking about one of those. They are around 4'x2.5'x2.5'

Thanks!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!