Nervous Mom............My Son is in Basic. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 06-02-2006, 07:49 AM   #1
Ginger Ambrose
Nervous Mom............My Son is in Basic.

I am just needing to vent a bit. Maybe pick up a bit of moral support.
My, son Charles William Ambrose Jr. (C. J.), left for Basic Training yesterday.
I am feeling so many diffrent emotions. Fear, being high on the list. Not about basic..............that is a piece cake................it is about what is to come.
I guess I should be happy that he will be in the safety of this country for at least the next 4 months.
But all I can think about, is that there is the huge chance he will be in Iraq or somewhere close within the next year.
I am proud of him, he is following in the foot steps of many of his family.
Dad, 23 years, Army***Grandfather (paternal) Navy(World War II vet) *****Granddaddy (Maternal) Air Force & Navy (two tours in Viet Nam).
Great Uncle (Maternal) Marines (tours in Viet Nam)***Great Grandpa Marines(Maternal) (World War II Vet).
He learns best by actually doing something, so this is a good way for him to gain skills. He is not a class room kind of kid.
He is 19, but he is still my Baby Boy. The idea of him being out there and not being able to help him. The idea of not being able to protect him. These things are so real right now. I knew this day would come...........But he was just a two year old a few days ago. How could he have become a Man this soon. Yeah, I know I sound like a Nut case over protective Mom.
I can not help it. His chosen profession in the Army, is a driver. In my understanding he will drive anything from Fuel tankers, to being a driver for officers.
I know I should allow his life to unfold and be here to support him. I should just relax, and stop worrying about things that may never come to pass. But any Parent knows that is SO hard.
When he became complacent to just work at fast food, and lay about the house, we encouraged him to find something that would allow him to continue his education and a job that would allow him growth. He was going to enlist last year and we talked him out of it, well he agreed to wait till a bit later. When we began the encouragement stated above, I did not realize he would decide that now was the time.
If something happens to him, will it be my fault for encouraging him?
Have I encouraged my Son to walk into Hell ?
The Military has always been a part of my life in some form, I must say as, the parent, seems to be the worst form.
Sorry for the long wandering post but needed to vent.
Thanks, for being here.

Old 06-02-2006, 08:58 AM   #2
norsmis
Ginger, I know your worries all too well. I have 15 years service under my belt and I have been part of 4 combat tours, 3 in the middle east. You have to look at what is happening as your son's chosen path. I know I put my parents through a lot of worrying but I will tell you, the Army made a man of me. It also allowed me to see life in a different perspective and to gain focus. I am getting out in 3 weeks but not because I don't love it. I am getting out for the sake of my children and new wife. Let your son grow into a man and become the person he is destined to be. I am sure you will be so proud of him. And one word of advice. If he does have to go to combat, do everything in your power to support him. a young man needs his mother in a time like that. You love and support will do wonders to ensure he will come home safe and sound.
If you ever need to talk, pm me anytime.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:05 AM   #3
Lucille
((((((((((Ginger)))))))))))))

I feel for you; separation is difficult no matter when it happens. Your son has chosen a job with honor, that will help defend all we hold dear. I hope you will tell him that we are all proud of his choice.
But the worry, I understand. You and he will be in my thoughts, we cannot forecast the future but all of us can give you moral support now.

Old 06-02-2006, 06:39 PM   #4
Ginger Ambrose
Thanks so Much, Ronald & Lucille. It does help to know I am not unusual. I appreciate all of your prayers and well wishes.
I have always and will always support him, no matter where he might be.
I am proud of him..............but my fear for him tends to outweigh Pride.

Old 06-02-2006, 07:29 PM   #5
norsmis
Like I said Ginger, I know its hard to take. Stay strong for him and our prayers will be with him whatever road he may take.

Old 06-03-2006, 08:37 AM   #6
Ginger Ambrose
Well, it is sinking in that he is in Boot camp as I type.
I find myself wondering what he is doing at any given moment. I was in the army
my self so I know the basics of boot camp. I find myself trying to remember what we did on this day of basic as the days go by. I guess it helps me to deal with him being gone. I can in a way be there.
He is so excited, and went to Military School, so this is old hat for him.
I hope, he can deal with the hurry up & wait. (Military folks understand)
He can be impatient, but that is part of what Basic is about............learn patients, discipline, to control ones own behavior.
My little boy, will always be that for me..............but for his country, and fellow soldiers, he will be a good man.

Old 06-03-2006, 03:46 PM   #7
norsmis
You are a wonderful Mom Ginger. I am sure he is doing fine, unlearning how to be a civilian, and learning to be a soldier. I can remember basic like it was yesterday. Man those cooks in the chow hall were mean to us! But KP got you out of standing out in the hot Kentucky sun. Where is your son at?

Old 06-03-2006, 07:31 PM   #8
Ginger Ambrose
Ronald, he is at Fort LeonardWoods, Missouri.
Or Lost-in-the woods Misery

Old 06-03-2006, 08:47 PM   #9
norsmis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Ambrose
Ronald, he is at Fort LeonardWoods, Missouri.
Or Lost-in-the woods Misery
aahhh I know it well! I worked there for about a year. I was that Corporal who got new recruits off the bus at 3 am and screamed at them to "GET YOUR TOES ON THAT LINE AND STOP EYEBALLING ME!". LOL... I did love that job!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!