Can you see the spurs on a baby Rosy Boa? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-19-2012, 11:54 PM   #1
Stevefromsd
Can you see the spurs on a baby Rosy Boa?

My Rosy had 7 babies and the pet shop said ALL of them are female. He didn't pop them or probe them. Is it that likely for all 7 to be females?

Old 10-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
IMAJACOBIAN
I'm not a rosy boa person, but even on larger snakes spurs can be a clue, but not a definative answer to the sex of the animal. I believe you can pop them to determine sex just like a corn, but probing is the only sure way. My local pet shop will let me probe the babies they sell if I'm interested in them but I know a couple of them fairly well.

It is very unlikely they are all female. Usually breeders pic thru them and hold more females back than males so you are probably more likely to see pet store be male heavy. It's not impossible for them to be all female, just statistically improbable.

Pet shop employees are not usually the most knowledgable about what they sell. They usually have so many animals come thru their shops that they sell them before the even eat at times. Not all pet stores owners care to be the most knowledgeable about what they sell, but then there are some who really do care about the animals. I feel that the shops that really care are few and far between.

Jacob

Old 02-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
bunkerkingkgb
Basically with rosy boas, male have spurs and females don't. With babies you may need to use a jewelers loop to double check. There is a small chance a female may have spurs but they will be smaller and more straight. But usually with rosies just look for spurs, you can also pop the babies though.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:47 PM   #4
Harold of the Rocks
The 10x jewlers loop in direct sunlight is a big help, but for me some locality's are obvious to the naked eye while the other extreme is to hold them back a year to make sure. Or give the questionable ones away with other pairs if you don't want to wait.
I have had litters of 3 be all the same sex but never 7

Old 11-17-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
Helenthereef
Another way to examine for spurs closely is to take a digital photo and then blow it up on your computer screen

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!