Sick Grey Tree Frogs!! Help!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 11-01-2021, 07:51 PM   #1
Peytonperson0
Sick Grey Tree Frogs!! Help!!!

I have 4 wild-caught grey tree frogs in a vivarium. Two of them seem to be doing fine but the other two don’t seem to be doing well. I'm 14 and don't have access to a vet so I’ve been researching everywhere trying to help them.
Tiny doesn’t look too good. He used to be a happy tree frog, he was almost green, loved to sit on his little leaf, and would devour crickets, but now he’s a dark color and looking skinny. He’s always on the ground now and hasn’t been interested in food for almost two weeks now. He’s quite weak and seems to be getting weaker.

My other tree frog, Hopper, is a little bit bigger. His case seems to be a bit different from Tiny’s. He spends a lot of time on the ground, but unlike tiny, he’s still a nice green color. He also still goes after food but seems to be a lot clumsier than he used to. He has these odd spasms with his head, where he wobbles it side to side almost every time he moves. He climbs when he wants to but has trouble doing so. A while ago I figured out that using filtered water from the fridge was bad for them. I then switched them over to treated water. I soaked Hopper in treated spring water thinking it was toxic shock syndrome but it didn’t seem to be doing much. I even tried the same thing with Tiny later on. I’m thinking maybe I should keep soaking them? I’m worried about stressing them out but I don’t know if I did it long or often enough.
I once noticed red patches near their legs. I thought this was red-leg and was immediately worried, but this seemed to go away in a couple days or so. I assumed it could have been due to stress but I didn’t know what from, I have 3 sides of the cage covered and they never seemed to have a problem. I dust their crickets frequently with Vitamins and calcium.
Tiny is looking very bad and I don’t feel he’s going to live much longer. He just kind of flops when I move him and doesn’t look good. I’ve started to wonder if humanely euthanizing him with benzocaine or something is the right thing to do, I don’t want to see him suffer…
If anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate it. I’m at a loss here and am hoping to find some answers.

Old 11-01-2021, 08:04 PM   #2
Socratic Monologue
How long have you had them?

What supplements do you dust the prey items with exactly (exact brand, exact name of product)? What is "frequently" exactly?

Temps, misting?

Do you use UV light?

Photos of vivarium?

Old 11-01-2021, 08:44 PM   #3
Peytonperson0
1. I've had them for about 3 years now
2. I use Rep-Cal Herptivite with beta carotene and Flukers repta calcium with vitamin D3 and phosporous free. I normally just use the calcium, which I use almost every time I feed them every 1 - 2 days. I mix the Herptivite with the calcium and use that once- twice a week. I feed them crickets.
3. Temperature range from 65-73
4. I usually mist the tank with treated water every morning, the water seems to evaporate quick.
5. I use a UV and UVB and a purple night heat lamp during the night.
6. I attached some photos of the vivarium, you can see poor tiny in the corner, though it's a little poor quality because I have to use my chromebook. I will see if I can try and get some clearer photos. [IMG][IMG]file:///home/chronos/u-8ac4ba973a85392621a9a61f69b30f5a00636bbb/MyFiles/Camera/Frog%20enclosure.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]

Old 11-01-2021, 11:28 PM   #4
Socratic Monologue
If your supplements are older than 6 months, or not stored in the fridge, the Vitamin D could be degraded. But since you supply UVB, that's not likely an issue. You don't mention that you actually test the UVB lamps (I suspect you don't), so it is hard to say what's going on there.

The main thing that stands out is that you're not providing any usable Vitamin A -- there's a lot of evidence that frogs don't metabolize carotenoids to Vitamin A. Those symptoms are consistent with hypovitaminosis A, though frogs often show trouble feeding ("short tongue syndrome") before they get as far along with general degradation as your description of yours suggests. Switching to an adequate supplement -- Repashy Calcium Plus is the best -- is a good idea to keep your outwardly healthy frogs in good shape going forward.

If it were me, I'd euthanize the two that are suffering. I'm sorry this happened.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!