which snake to get: Honduran, Sinaloan Milk or Bloodred Corn? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-02-2007, 12:52 PM   #1
Jason7504
which snake to get: Honduran, Sinaloan Milk or Bloodred Corn?

I have a 20 gallon long set up with aspen bedding and an UltraTherm UTH, a temp gun, FL and infrared lighting and the rest of the usual supplies. I was set on getting a Sinaloan Milk but now Ive been looking and asking around and have been thinking about getting a Honduran Milk instead or a Blood Red Corn. There all really beautiful too! I know that Milks are more jumpy and nervous and will musk or bite more as babies but grow out of it. is that true? and if thats true aren't Hondurans more nervous and tempremental? Do Hondurans, Bloodred Corns, or Sinaloan Milks lose there color as they age?

Hondurans and SInaloan are more expensive than Bloodreds, at least that ive seen and thats not a problem but im just having trouble making a decision on which to get. what do you guys think? can you tell me the pros and cons of each of these 3 possible pet snakes?

Old 10-02-2007, 01:19 PM   #2
hhmoore
Actually, your thoughts on pricing seem, well, wrong. Sinaloans are the cheapest, followed by hondurans, with bloodreds tending to be more expensive (adding hets to any of them will shift the pricing upward).

I suspect that you will find that you don't need either the fluorescent or infrared lights. Normal room lighting is sufficient, unless you have serious room darkening window treatments (but the fluorescent won't hurt anything); and the Ultratherm will provide plenty of heat (so the infrared will make it too hot...and of the two, the UTH is a better option).

I don't want to rehash everything we talked about last night in chat, so I'll just say that they are all pretty similar with respect to husbandry requirements and temperament...what it is really going to boil down to is which one appeals to you the most and the size considerations.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:48 PM   #3
Jason7504
oh ok harald. yeah i noticed that too when i was looking around at some of them lol. what does "hypo" mean? sorry actually i meant that Im going to use flourescent and a moonlight bulb. Well my light in my room isn't bright enough to really see the snake well so i got a FL day bulb and the moonlight is for night viewing.

Do any of them lose there coloring as they age Harald? Could they all be housed in a 20 gallon long for there whole lives? didnt people last night in the chat say that corns are calmier than milks? how much would you charge for shipping for you Sinaloans to 98683?

Old 10-02-2007, 02:34 PM   #4
hhmoore
Hypo is short for hypomelanistic, which means a reduction in melanin (black pigment)

Old 10-02-2007, 03:21 PM   #5
hhmoore
<sighs> I was trying to be a jerk and refuse to answer any of the questions that I responded to last night, but they just keep coming.
-Sinaloans are the smallest of the three snakes you mentioned...IMO, a 20 long is too small for most adult hondurans or corns, though I know that many will dispute that.
-They don't "lose" their coloring as adults...but some individuals will darken a bit, and/or show more black tipping as they grow and age. I wouldn't consider it the norm, though.
-The only person I saw that said corns were calmer than milks was you. - specifically, you stated (as you did above) that milks are jumpier, bite more, and musk more than corns do...I didn't believe you. Corns may acclimate a bit better to handling, but I attribute that more to physical differences than temperament issues. Elaphe are better structured for climbing and grasping than Lampropeltis (not saying that milks CAN'T climb, just that they aren't built to do it well...they just don't move and bend the way corns do). Milks and kings are more habitually terrestrial - put one on a branch (or on your outstretched hand), and you'll be surprised at how many will fall to the ground instead of hanging on. Not to encourage anthropomorphizing, but consider them afraid of heights - they don't want to be up in the big dumb tree (that would be the person that picked them up), they aren't at home there, so they don't want to hang out there. Heck, you can see the differences just in the way they deal with prey - corns will grab and constrict...will even hold onto something with their tails when they do it. Milks and kings are more likely to try to press their prey against the side of the enclosure (think: walls of burrows). Hold onto something while they do it?? refer back to my previous statement about falling to the ground, lol.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:46 PM   #6
Jason7504
oh ok thanks Harald. why didnt you want to answer my questions last night?

Old 10-03-2007, 12:23 AM   #7
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason7504
why didnt you want to answer my questions last night?
that's just it Jason - I answered EVERY ONE of those questions last night. Frankly, I figured if you didn't bother to pay attention when I did it the first time, why should I bother typing it all out again?

Old 10-03-2007, 01:09 AM   #8
Jason7504
i dont remember you answering about when i asked if the color faded over time and i was just seeing what other people would say too. you know getting more Point of views. I really appricate your help tho with answering my questions and the advice. i will remember it and use it when needed. so thanks alot! you've been a big help

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!