My Dumpy Frog Hasn't EAten in 9 Days! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 01-20-2007, 01:26 PM   #1
Michaels_Angel
Exclamation My Dumpy Frog Hasn't EAten in 9 Days!

Hi! One of my White's has not eaten anything in 9 days (if he doesn't tonight will make 10) I am quite worried. Along with this, he has not been pooping. These however are the only symptoms he displays. He is still coming out at night to play and soak in the water. His color and eyes look great. No weight loss or gain that I can tell.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Old 01-20-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
Mooing Tricycle
have you tried waxworms? they love them! ( just dont use them as a staple because they are pretty fatty, but maybe itll help get him eating again!) Just tease them with them by putting the waxworms on their mouths and letting it crawl a little. ususally theyll get annoyed and chomp down to get rid of the sucker :P

Old 01-20-2007, 02:08 PM   #3
Michaels_Angel
No, I haven't ever fed them anything other than crickets...
Scares me to change up their diet since they have been doing so good (had them since 2004). I have heard horrible stories about worms eating the insides of the frogs??? Don't know if there is truth to that or not, but anythime I ever think about getting them a new treat, I chicken out....

Old 01-20-2007, 02:13 PM   #4
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaels_Angel
No, I haven't ever fed them anything other than crickets...
Scares me to change up their diet since they have been doing so good (had them since 2004). I have heard horrible stories about worms eating the insides of the frogs??? Don't know if there is truth to that or not, but anythime I ever think about getting them a new treat, I chicken out....
I think that was a myth about Mealworms ( wasnt it you had to cut their heads off?) not sure if that is still true or IS just a myth... i never tried it because waxworms and crickets did just fine for me when i had mine.

Do you dust the crickets? They have a Tree frog dusting powder you can buy that has pretty much everything they would need. i would also dust the waxworms with the powder as well.

certainly try the waxworms though, they just big fat.... waxy feelin guys and i know your frog will love them!

Do you have pictures of the little guy and his enclosure?

Old 01-21-2007, 11:40 AM   #5
Red-Eye
Feeding Response

Have you witnessed him not eating?
I'm sure if you put more crickets in than what they normally eat, then maybe he has eaten without you seeing him?

I find my Whites loves Silkworms and Butterworms, both are a lot healthier than waxworms. As said before Waxworms are very fattening and should only be offered occasionally as a treat. Variety is the best diet you can give any herp, don't rely solely on one food source. Would you like to eat the same thing everyday for the remainder of your life?...didn't think so. The myth about worms eating their way out came up a few years ago and it was about Superworms (they can bite), thats why you hear about people cutting the heads off.
Calcium and Multivitamins are a must for any herp as well, I recommend the Rep-Cal brand of Calcium/D3 and their Multivitamins.

Red-Eye

Old 01-21-2007, 04:40 PM   #6
Michaels_Angel
My White's Hasn't Eaten in 10 days!

LOL...no I would want the same thing everyday forever!
So what are some good and safe options for variety?

I hand feed my frogs and have ever since I got them, so I know exactly how many they eat. I gut load my crickets, and dust them on occasion as well.

Thanks for the replies!

Old 01-21-2007, 10:54 PM   #7
Red-Eye
Variety

Whites will eat virtually anything that will fit into their mouths so variety is no problem. Here's some more options other than the usual staple of Crickets.
Silkworms, Butterworms, Roaches, Pinkie Mice, Hornworms, Silkmoths, Earthworms and so on....

Red-Eye

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!