Black Bellied Boa - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-07-2005, 02:45 PM   #41
Greg Riso
Cross Breeding

Breeding a true Melonogaster with a type II anery would be crossing BCC with BCI. If you want to breed something that makes more sense in terms of BCC with BCC and using an anery why not go with an anery Longicauda? That's the route I would go if no female melanogaster becomes available.
Maggie, can you tell me where your male came from? I had a male stolen by Kim Felts of Southern CA over two years ago and haven't seen it since. When I first saw this thread the animal looked nothing like mine because mine had narrow saddles similar to yours.

Old 08-07-2005, 04:17 PM   #42
LakesideBoas
Well, Greg...

ultimately I'm not sure just where he came from. He was traded to the fella I got it from at a swap in Chicago, IL. Where the guy who traded him got him from is anyone's guess and it's not likely I'll ever get to meet the guy.

Mine is definitely a BCI not BCC or BCO (Argentine). Thought he might have been a cross and I can't really rule it out completely, but with the scale and saddle counts as well as overall physiology, I'm inclined to believe he is indeed a BCI.

The first thing most ask when they first see him is if he is an Argentine. But put him next to a true Argy and even by sight you can see differences that show up even in crosses. I'm sure you know exactly what I am talking about. Now, Longicauda, I'm not sure of their overall physiology, so you may be on to something there. I need to read up them and the Melanogaster, I think. (Goody, more homework!)

Do you have any pictures of your guy, Greg? I'd love to be able to return a long-lost friend to you. Also, how old was yours when you loaned it out? That would give me an idea of what to look for.

E-mail me some pics if you have them and I'll try and get this large wiggle-worm to sit still so I can get some comparison pictures!

Old 08-08-2005, 07:33 PM   #43
kiote9
I will continue to look for a black bellied female for my male, but I see no reason not to try breeding some pretty babies with him. I've read the articles and asked a few people and basically been informed that he is just a dark BCC. Well, if that is the general attitude then making a couple of crossed litters to see what can be bred from him shouldn't hurt. Consider that there are folks out there crossing them with albinos to see if they can get more color out of the albinos. They are using albino BCI, yes?

My attitude may sound bad, but I am actually just very tired. Just got back from the waterpark a little bit ago and discovered my desktop computer has a virus. The laptop is not mine (and I don't like borrowing it) and I need to go to sleep before I pitch it through the window out of frustration....

Old 08-08-2005, 11:43 PM   #44
LakesideBoas
I know what you mean about crosses, Shelly. Just do what you feel is best. I have tried and tried to represent my animals as best I can, it's all any of us can do.

Hope you get your PC back up to snuff again soon! Don't pitch it out the window! Although the sound of breaking glass can be satisfying at times remember it'll ultimately be you that has to clean it up. Kind of takes some of the joy out of it!

Old 08-09-2005, 01:11 PM   #45
kiote9
I know ALL about the sound of breaking glass......and about cleaning it up! I also know that you NEVER throw a bowl of white rice at someone as it is VERY dificult to clean off the carpet. Oh yeah, don't throw your Jack & Coke at your sister, it's a waste of good booze and also is unpleasant to clean off the wall/furniture/carpet of your step dads house. (I had WAY too much fun in my younger years.)

Ok, Harmonys cage sits in the livingroom next to my chair. I was sitting here the other day with MoonShadow and he decided to try to get into Harmonys cage. Is this a good thing? I almost let him go in there, but not so sure it's a good idea. Her cage is a split level, it's roughly 4'X2' with a drawer she can slide downstairs into (a nice sized sterlite, roughly 3'X2'). I should put her in his cage, shouldn't I? He's in a Boaphile. I'm thinking she needs a bit more weight yet anyway. She's up to 15 pounds at 7'2".

Ok, that little bit said, it's nap time. Getting to bloody old to try to keep up with my kids and hold down a job and run a household. Looking forward to the day when I can wake up in the morning, grab a snake, sit down in front of the picture window, curl up and take a NAP!!! LOL

Old 08-09-2005, 02:16 PM   #46
LakesideBoas
Oh My!

Rice?! I can imagine!

I usually put the males in with my females. I figure the ladies are on their home turf and comfortable and haven't seen any adjustment issues on the part of the males as they have a new distraction...girls!

I only ever napped with one of my Boas. Had pneumonia a couple years ago and kind of passed out holding my large male, Gaia. It had to be at least two hours till my hubby got home and the big lug was still sitting calmly in my lap! He could have gone anywhere in that time. I do feel he is one special snake though and would never try that with any of my others.

Old 08-09-2005, 03:16 PM   #47
kiote9
I nap with all of my boas, from the littlest to the biggest.

The little ones I just tuck down into my shirt. They frequently go into a sleeve and curl up. The big ones go on my lap and I wrap a blanket around me and tuck it under my legs.

I sleep much better with a snake than without. If it wasn't for the dogs I'd let the bigger snakes free range in the house and then I could sleep with them at night.

Old 11-06-2005, 01:21 PM   #48
kiote9
UPDATE: RIP MoonShadow

It was a fairly normal week except he refused his rat. He shat and shed a few days ago. This morning he was acting funny so I took him out of his cage and he died on my bed.

He was my favorite boa and I had him for less than six months. He was very docile and ate well and never bit anyone...such a good boy. He was nice to nap with and always stayed in the same room when I let him roam. I'm gonna miss him.

He was in with a female for a couple of weeks but I have no real hopes for her being gravid. I'd like to have a little one to remember him by....

Thought I'd let y'all know.

Old 11-06-2005, 02:17 PM   #49
The BoidSmith
Shelly,

He was a beautiful animal and I'm really sorry to hear about your loss. Have you thought about the possibility of doing a necropsy? Not to alarm you but remember he was in contact for two weeks with that female. Maybe it's worth having her checked out just in case.

Best of lucks.

Old 11-06-2005, 04:55 PM   #50
kiote9
I thought about a necropsy for about 20 seconds before I placed that beautiful animal in the ground. She needs to go to the vet and get checked out, but I buried him.

I am far more upset than I should be over a pet.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!