Don't get scammed! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:26 AM   #11
Shadera
Thank you for that clarification.

I'd like to add something. If the seller has terms on their site, make sure you look over those and ask your questions before you send a dime. If they don't have some posted, ASK what they are! Be wary of sellers who try and change the terms on you! At a minimum, you should get a live arrival, healthy, properly sexed guarantee.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:09 AM   #12
shrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by polasian View Post
Some RED FLAGS to look for in a classifieds ad;

- Refuses (when asked) to provide additional pictures of the animals offered up for sale.
Normals, Hets, Possible hets..... it will be a cold day in hell before I provide "additional" pictures of any of those, as someone just found out. And it caused me to lose a $2000 deal. I didnt care in the slightest.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:41 AM   #13
polasian
Thanks guys, I'm glad you enjoy this thread, I know I do . Also, thanks for all your input thus far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailsWithScales View Post
A seller not willing or doesn't email CURRENT photos upon request and in a timely manner.
Noted .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagickalMorphs View Post
Thank you for that clarification.

I'd like to add something. If the seller has terms on their site, make sure you look over those and ask your questions before you send a dime. If they don't have some posted, ASK what they are! Be wary of sellers who try and change the terms on you! At a minimum, you should get a live arrival, healthy, properly sexed guarantee.
Another EXCELLENT point! If a seller is inconsistent with their own policies...then it might be time to move on to the next ad. I'll put that up in the first post as well because I think it needs to be stressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrap View Post
Normals, Hets, Possible hets..... it will be a cold day in hell before I provide "additional" pictures of any of those, as someone just found out. And it caused me to lose a $2000 deal. I didnt care in the slightest.
Why such animosity towards a photo shoot request ? I recently saw you post up an ad for a Pied and several possible hets (if I'm mistaken, I apologize). While shopping for possible het Pieds, one tries to look for any markers. Perhaps that's why additional images where requested.

By the way...that is one beautiful pied!!!

Old 01-31-2010, 05:17 AM   #14
shrap
Quote:
Why such animosity towards a photo shoot request ? I recently saw you post up an ad for a Pied and several possible hets (if I'm mistaken, I apologize). While shopping for possible het Pieds, one tries to look for any markers. Perhaps that's why additional images where requested.

By the way...that is one beautiful pied!!!
The problem I had was with "additional" photos for Normals or Normal appearing animals. The key word there being "additional".

And dont get me started on the so called Pied markers. I have produced just as many het Pieds that didnt have the so called marker as those that did. Not to mention all the Normals with the marker.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:48 AM   #15
polasian
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrap View Post
The problem I had was with "additional" photos for Normals or Normal appearing animals. The key word there being "additional".

And dont get me started on the so called Pied markers. I have produced just as many het Pieds that didnt have the so called marker as those that did. Not to mention all the Normals with the marker.
Additional, other, more, extra, etc...choose whichever of those words you feel is more fitting. I still don't see what the problem would be to provide *insert synonym for additional here* pictures that you might have laying around.

Perhaps by "additional" you mean a potential buyer asking the seller to take a more specific picture (for ex, the snakes resting on today's newspaper with the sellers drivers licence, with everything other than the name being hidden, placed next to them). Even if that's the case...the first thing I'd do is grab the paper, then the snakes, then my wallet, then the camera. With all the horror stories floating around on the BOI, its not surprising that people are cautious and tentative...they need to be reassured. The sellers actions throughout the transaction (from "Hello" to "Goodbye") fall under the customer service blanket. So why not just entertain a potential buyers simple request?

As far as the markers go...I understand that they are no different from a coin toss. But again, I don't see why one cant just go along with the buyers request for "additional" pictures. Some buyers prefer to purchase snakes with markers...call them superstitious or naive or whatever. If they want it, why not give it to them? It would be no skin off your back and you'd now have 2k in your pocket. Honestly I'm curious...I don't understand why a seller would exclude a certain customer demographic (individuals who prefer markers on their poss hets) by not taking some belly shots (or whatever the request was).

My previous paragraph was typed under the assumption that your poss hets have markets...if they don't, then ignore said paragraph. Non the less, the first paragraph still holds true (to me anyway). Can you please elaborate on what you find so offensive with "additional" . I'm trying to understand ones thought process behind this. Thanks.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:31 PM   #16
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailsWithScales View Post

EXCELLENT post Polasian!

I would like to add a little red flag of my own.

A seller not willing or doesn't email CURRENT photos upon request and in a timely manner.

Have seen this a few times too. Just a thought.
Let me add to that:

Seller doesn't even have a picture in the ad, but will email it on request.

*I HATE that. Why? Because, some of us do not have time to research every picture, thus it becomes invaluable to have many eyes on the same picture, someone else may recognize the animal as not belonging to the person. I believe that if the seller can email individual potential customers a picture on request, it's even simpler to post the picture in the ad and save customers the trouble of having to contact you individually....end rant.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:57 PM   #17
polasian
Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahbroadus View Post
Let me add to that:

Seller doesn't even have a picture in the ad, but will email it on request.

*I HATE that. Why? Because, some of us do not have time to research every picture, thus it becomes invaluable to have many eyes on the same picture, someone else may recognize the animal as not belonging to the person. I believe that if the seller can email individual potential customers a picture on request, it's even simpler to post the picture in the ad and save customers the trouble of having to contact you individually....end rant.
I love it Deb!!! I threw it up under "things to look out for but not necessarily red flags."

Some sellers might not want to plaster their pics all over the place for fear that they will be stolen and used for other things. I can see why some might not want to make it easier for said "pictures thieves" to get their hands on the merchandise. However, at the same time, if the seller doesn't post pics, then the thought that THEY might be the "picture thieves," does occasionally get planted.

Ultimately what will eliminate most (if not all) doubt, is the sellers willingness to be transparent. Not showing pics within an ad is just another hurdle for the buyer to go through. I just post pics in my ads and call it a day. I mean it doesn't matter what precautions one takes, if someone wants to steal your pic, they will find a way to do so.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:23 PM   #18
deborahbroadus
Quote:
I love it Deb!!! I threw it up under "things to look out for but not necessarily red flags."

Some sellers might not want to plaster their pics all over the place for fear that they will be stolen and used for other things. I can see why some might not want to make it easier for said "pictures thieves" to get their hands on the merchandise. However, at the same time, if the seller doesn't post pics, then the thought that THEY might be the "picture thieves," does occasionally get planted.

Ultimately what will eliminate most (if not all) doubt, is the sellers willingness to be transparent. Not showing pics within an ad is just another hurdle for the buyer to go through. I just post pics in my ads and call it a day. I mean it doesn't matter what precautions one takes, if someone wants to steal your pic, they will find a way to do so.

To me, it would seem that emailing individual pictures would make picture thievery easier. Because in that case, they don't have to copy and possibly get a grainy picture from the website, they can get top grade pictures mailed to their very own e-mail box that possibly have never been posted anywhere before so will be harder to track down!

Old 01-31-2010, 04:25 PM   #19
polasian
Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahbroadus View Post
To me, it would seem that emailing individual pictures would make picture thievery easier. Because in that case, they don't have to copy and possibly get a grainy picture from the website, they can get top grade pictures mailed to their very own e-mail box that possibly have never been posted anywhere before so will be harder to track down!
Good point!

Old 02-01-2010, 02:25 PM   #20
TailsWithScales
Stealing a photo is easy regardless of whether it's posted on a site or emailed.

That's where the seller should use precaution and watermark their photos.

This is how my photos now look.

I do the name on the animal because if someone attempts to remove it it's going to really alter the animal's markings.

**Nile monitor NFS**

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!