Whaler, activist ship collide again off Antarctica - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #11
bigjej
Without commenting on their tactics ( btw the article said rancid butter, not acid ), the Japanese whaling fleets violate international conservation/fishing laws as well. The harvesting of the whales is supposed to be for scientific purposes though it is obviously a front for commercial whaling. I'd also like to point out that cows are not an endangered species on the brink of extinction, unlike whales many of which are on the brink of being extinct due to whaling pressures over the past 2-3 hundred years.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:38 PM   #12
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjej View Post
Without commenting on their tactics ( btw the article said rancid butter, not acid ), the Japanese whaling fleets violate international conservation/fishing laws as well. The harvesting of the whales is supposed to be for scientific purposes though it is obviously a front for commercial whaling. I'd also like to point out that cows are not an endangered species on the brink of extinction, unlike whales many of which are on the brink of being extinct due to whaling pressures over the past 2-3 hundred years.
"The Sea Sheperd's weapon of choice is butyric acid. Bottled and thrown onto the decks of whaling ships, it spoils any whale meat it comes in contact with, and makes it almost impossible to work on the deck."

Quote:
Butyric acid is an organic compound that is responsible for the smell of butter that has gone sour. It is also known as butanoic acid or butyrate. The butyric acid formula is CH3CH2CH2-COOH. It is a carboxylic acid, as defined by the COOH group. Carboxylic acids are important in their own right, but they also function as the ingredients for making larger compounds.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:51 PM   #13
bigjej
Again, that is simply rancid butter. Not dangerous to humans. Spoils the whale meat and stinks to high heaven. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with their tactics.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:35 PM   #14
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjej View Post
Again, that is simply rancid butter. Not dangerous to humans. Spoils the whale meat and stinks to high heaven. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with their tactics.
Right, but ramming a ship is.

I just caught the video on the news a few minutes ago. Watching them laugh as they state " Here it comes" as
they hit the ship, laughing, endangering all the lives on that Japanese ship and their own.

Sorry, but I'm in favor of the law to be changed. If you are coming at me with a ship attending harm that could cause death and injury, I/they or anyone else should be allowed to meet them with deadly force. This isn't a joke and they are the aggressors. It's a dangerous game their playing and it needs to stop.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:46 PM   #15
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjej
The harvesting of the whales is supposed to be for scientific purposes though it is obviously a front for commercial whaling. I'd also like to point out that cows are not an endangered species on the brink of extinction, unlike whales many of which are on the brink of being extinct due to whaling pressures over the past 2-3 hundred years.
Quote:
Japan aims to take hundreds of whales each year — mainly minke whales, which are not endangered — under a program that is allowed despite the international moratorium

Just because the US, the UN or the majority of the world governments believe in one course of action doesn't make it so for everyone else in this world. Does it? I know some believe that. They are called Elitist. We should dictate what they eat? What their culture reflects?
Whaling has been an important part of Japanese society since the seventh century.

I recently went out on a whale watching trip with my son it was a wonderful experience. I would like my grandchildren to one day do the same.
I also enjoying sharing some of the species of animals I keep with others and hope they are around forever, but it doesn't give me the right to tell the natives that live naturally with some of the snakes and lizards I keep not to eat them. Who the heck am I to do that? Or you?

Old 02-06-2010, 08:52 PM   #16
shrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hultman View Post
Right, but ramming a ship is.

I just caught the video on the news a few minutes ago. Watching them laugh as they state " Here it comes" as
they hit the ship, laughing, endangering all the lives on that Japanese ship and their own.

Sorry, but I'm in favor of the law to be changed. If you are coming at me with a ship attending harm that could cause death and injury, I/they or anyone else should be allowed to meet them with deadly force. This isn't a joke and they are the aggressors. It's a danger game their playing and it needs to stop.
Could not agree more, Dennis. I spent the better part of 5 years commercial crabbing in the middle of the Bering Sea. I've seen the ocean take the lives of too many good men. Seen too many of the tears of their loved ones back home. You fuck around at sea and you die. It is that simple.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:54 PM   #17
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by shlages View Post
So it's ok to sit by while an animal or anything for that matter can be wiped off the face of the earth?
I agree that the disregard for human life is WAY over the top.
I think OTHER COUNTRIES ALSO VOTED ON THE WHALE MORATORUIM,not just the U.S. "forcing our way on another culture".
it's 1 of those issues that you could see things from both sides...

Yes, you are correct. There are a lot of elitist from San Fran to New York and spanning the globe.

__________________________________________________ _________
Look, I care for my animals just as much as anyone and I realize discussing these types of topics you have the potential to alienate friends, customers and people you like generally otherwise, but enough is really enough. Those that support these wackos, including PETA and ALF, in any matter, to force their will on others, are no better.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:56 PM   #18
shrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hultman View Post
This isn't a joke and they are the aggressors. It's a danger game their playing and it needs to stop.
Could not agree more, Dennis.

I spent the better part of 5 years commercial crabbing in the middle of the Bering Sea. I've seen the ocean take the lives of too many good men. Seen too many of the tears of their loved ones back home. You fuck around at sea and you die. It is that simple. I am so pissed and just at a total loss of words at such stupidity.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:38 PM   #19
TailsWithScales
I have actually watched the show Whale Wars a few times and it does draw you in and seriously breaks your heart. Amazing how sick it is to see them, the Japanese, slaughtering whole pods of whales. But at the same time it's sickening to see how very much over the top the Sea Shepard's crews are and the tactics taken. I'm not saying that what any side is doing is right. I am saying they're both wrong on both fronts. Trying to help save a species is admirable. But not at the expensive of human lives. If saying that makes me a 'bad girl' then so be it. Two wrongs do not make a right.

Sharp, (off topic a little)

Which vessel were you on?? Just curious. Hope you don't mind my asking.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:55 PM   #20
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Harbart View Post
Can't say that I support eco-terrorists such as Sea Shepherd or ALF.
My thoughts exactly.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!