Rattlesnakes in a Tree! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 10-13-2005, 09:43 PM   #1
Karen Hulvey
Rattlesnakes in a Tree!

Emergency call has dispatchers scratching their head
By CHRIS CLINE\Daily Journal Staff Writer
Saturday, October 01, 2005

Rattlesnakes hanging from trees, striking at people. Huh, what. St. Francois County dispatchers were scratching their heads when they dispatched that message out on Friday afternoon. Strange enough, the dispatch proved valid as St. Francois County deputies took 14 rattlesnakes into custody.

"A landowner on Whittaker Road was clearing some brush and noticed an unusual amount of rattlesnakes in the trees and called dispatch," said St. Francois County Sheriff Dan Bullock. "Upon closer investigation, the snakes appeared to young. There had to be some older ones around though, if there were that many younger ones."

Bullock said deputies captured the snakes and put them into a glass jar.

"We are in the process of contacting the Missouri Department of Conservation to come and get the snakes," Bullock said. "Under Missouri law it is illegal to kill a snake. Even a poisonous snake."

Bullock said he wasn't sure how the deputies captured the snakes, but he did say that no one was bitten or injured during the incident.

"The whole thing is strange," Bullock said. "I've never seen rattlesnakes get up in trees before."

Old 10-14-2005, 07:48 AM   #2
cthulhu77
It's a place few people look for them, that's for sure !!! Interesting read.

Old 10-14-2005, 09:31 AM   #3
DAND
When I lived in California I saw them in low bushes but never in trees. Definitely an odd place for them to be hanging (pun intended) around.

Old 11-15-2005, 10:35 AM   #4
Rattlesnake
It is not as unusual as you might think to find rattlesnakes up in trees. They occasionally use this method to hunt for baby birds and small insects that 'hang' in these areas. I have seen this occurance more than once and it never ceases to surprise me.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!