Feeder Fish Have Ick - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 01-19-2005, 04:07 PM   #1
Cyphyrys
Unhappy Feeder Fish Have Ick

Hey, My feeders just recently got ick, and i was wondering if they would still be safe to feed to my pacman.. i wanted to find out b4 i try it...don't want anyhting bad ot happen to him

Old 01-19-2005, 05:07 PM   #2
cthulhu77
Ich is a surface parasite that infects/attacks weakened fish...do not use any of the commercial ich medications prior to feeding your frog, they are based in copper, and can effect the frog severely.
My recommendation? Flush the fish, and get some new ones.

greg

Old 01-19-2005, 07:09 PM   #3
Cyphyrys
Talking

ok, thank you very much greg

Old 01-20-2005, 10:46 AM   #4
Glenn Bartley
Take the fish, freeze them, leave them in the freezer for at least a week, then thaw some out. After fully thawing them, hold with forcepps and wiggle in front of the pacman frog. Chances are their carcasses will be history in short order. Why waste good food.

The freezing will kill off the parasites you see and those inside that you don't see.

Old 01-20-2005, 10:55 AM   #5
cthulhu77
Unfortunately, that is not true...ich encysts upon freezing, and can survive quite well...get rid of the feeders. They don't cost enough to warrant the problems...

greg

Old 01-20-2005, 11:08 AM   #6
Glenn Bartley
While they may survive a short duration of freezing, will they survive a week (or two) at below freezing temps? I find it rather unusual for a parasite of their size. Most vets and herpetoculturists I have spoken to recommend freezing food items, used for herps, to kill of parasites and most bacteria but, not viruses. Are there other exceptions among the parasites?

Old 01-20-2005, 11:48 AM   #7
cthulhu77
It has been coming to light more and more lately that many bacteria can withstand freezing, and quite a few parasites also...especially in the case of something like ich, which is cold tolerant and dies in warm water.

Many viruses also have developed remarkable "shells" that protect them from extremes, although massive uv light seems to break down the rna of many...

Creepy stuff, really...best bet, when you see something ill, get rid of it, before it spreads...(think resident evil here!)

greg

Old 01-20-2005, 11:49 AM   #8
Glenn Bartley
I became curious about what you said, that Ich would not be killed by freezing. According to an abstract for the article: COMPARING TOLERANCE OF ICHTHYOPHTHIRIUS MULTIFILIIS AND TETRAHYMENA THERMOPHILA FOR NEW CRYOPRESERVATION METHODS (Issn: 0022-3395 Journal: Journal of Parasitology Volume: 88 Issue: 1 Pages: 41-46 Authors: Everett, Karin D. E., Knight, John R., Dickerson, Harry W.) See this link for the abstract: http://www.bioone.org/bioone/?reques...e=01&page=0041 Ich cannot survive freezing and then reinfect fish. Here is the bottom line quote from that abstract to the above effect:
Quote:
No combination of reagents, media, freezing rates, or dilution media permitted cryopreservation of I. multifiliis parasites that could then undergo development or infect fish.
I'd like to read the whole article but am not about to pay dues just to read one paper. Of course they also do say that after freezing the theronts they were able to vitrify some to the point where they showed some movement but, this required use of certain chemicals that would not be used by the home hobbyist who had frozen then thawed ich infested fish for later use as herp food; nor would it then apaprently be normal for Ich to survive freezing in nature. If they simply could be frozen in the freezer, then reanimated to ”…where they could again infest fish…”, I would think the authors would have reported such since they seem to be searching out a method to preserve them by freezing, then resurrect them, for later studies. I think therefore that freezing them, at least for a week or maybe two weeks, would be an effective way to insure killing them. Of course, this is only one source document and, if you are aware of studies that show otherwise I would be interested in them because one study does not usually prove the case.

Best regards,
Glenn B

Old 01-20-2005, 11:52 AM   #9
cthulhu77
An interesting paper, I am sure...but be sure to read the bit about the freezing methods...they go waaaaayyy beyond a home freezer. (unless your fridge makes ice in 30-40 seconds)

For more on bacteria/parasites/viruses:

http://www.cdc.gov/

should be required reading, although it might want to make you head for the hills and breath through a filter!

greg

Old 01-20-2005, 11:56 AM   #10
Glenn Bartley
But you don't seem to get the point that if the home freezer were a useful method of NOT killing the theronts, then they would use that and not need to search out other more complicated methods. They are looking for a method by which to freeze the ich, then bring it back to full function, to be used in lab experiments. You are saying that freezing them in the home freezer will not kill them - this is exactly what they are searching out! Are they presumed to be so ignorant of this that they need to study more complicated methods?
Best regards,
GlennB

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!