Snakes and Ferrets? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:34 PM   #1
ChristineMarie94
Red face Snakes and Ferrets?

Okay, I know that these two pets will never get along and be buddies. I'm fine with that, and given that our ferrets are 7-8 (pretty old for ferrets) I know that they won't be around forever. However, I have two ferrets and a little baby cornsnake that I just got this past Monday. I have the corn snake in a sort of separate room (no door, but the wall does not allow the ferrets to see the snake and vice versa).

What I'm worried about is the smell of the ferrets alarming/stressing out the snake, especially during handling. I would prefer if I didn't have to completely wash myself down when I go from petting/holding the ferrets to holding the snake. Obviously, washing my hands isn't an issue, but just wondering how much of a deep clean I should be doing?

I'm not worried about the ferrets getting into the snake's cage, as the ferrets are caged and only allowed to roam around in the upstairs room for a couple hours everyday with supervision. I'd move them upstairs permanently, but they don't handle high temps well and our house doesn't have air conditioning.

Does anyone have any advice/tips for dealing with having a predator and prey in the same living space? I'm sure that having a cat would be at least semi-similar?

Old 10-13-2014, 03:54 PM   #2
AbsoluteApril
I wouldn't worry about it besides just washing your hands between handling/playing with the ferrets and then going to the snake. Also as you know, I wouldn't have them out together. I never let my snakes and cats interact. It I want to bring a snake into the living room (they are in a snake room), then the cats get put in the bedroom and the cats are not allowed in the snake room.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:34 PM   #3
GoingPostal
My ferret room is separate from my reptile room but just down the hall. I don't make any special action between handling ferrets and snakes, my ferrets also run around supervised in the reptile room and it's my cat's hangout where her food and litterbox is kept. Haven't noticed any fearful or feeding reactions on the snake side and the cages are high enough off the ground the ferrets can't see or get to them. My cat can be out with my ball python and my iguana under supervision but when my other snakes are being handled/out she is put out, the ferrets and reptiles never interact.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!